Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 AG Hunter Cup

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

2023 AG Hunter Cup

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...-doo-it-again/

Adam is right that Anthony has 7 Hunter Cup victories but he only lists 6 - he forgot Mr Feelgood in 2009

When I went searching for the missing 6th, I tried the Drivers Stats that you find when you click on their name in the fields. Not the answer (go to Feature Race chronicles on the HRA site - you will eventually get there by clicking on the Racing tab) But (not Butt ) you will be told in the Driver Stats that Anthony has driven 819 winners - WTF (excuse my French)

Once again a glaring hole in record keeping (or at least specifying what the stats are)
    This does not include NZ wins, of which there are another 1,993

So Ants has driven 2,812 winners

It will be interesting if he wins the AG with RNR Doo, will Mick be able to resume driving him
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...-doo-it-again/

Adam is right that Anthony has 7 Hunter Cup victories but he only lists 6 - he forgot Mr Feelgood in 2009

When I went searching for the missing 6th, I tried the Drivers Stats that you find when you click on their name in the fields. Not the answer (go to Feature Race chronicles on the HRA site - you will eventually get there by clicking on the Racing tab) But (not Butt ) you will be told in the Driver Stats that Anthony has driven 819 winners - WTF (excuse my French)

Once again a glaring hole in record keeping (or at least specifying what the stats are)
    This does not include NZ wins, of which there are another 1,993

So Ants has driven 2,812 winners

It will be interesting if he wins the AG with RNR Doo, will Mick be able to resume driving him
    Kev,
    IWell done to find Anthony Butt;s Australasian stats. It's painful isn't it that they are not easily acccessible.

I'm thinking that there are more to add to your total as he drove at least 1 winner in Scandinavia and more than 1 in the US, at the Meadowlands.
    Difficult to find those, as the USTA site is user pays.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would seem that the draw and the addition of Act Now to the opposition may be the only barriers to Copy That winning the Hunter Cup
    From this article it would seem there is little chance Expensive Ego is coming

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/the...hunter-attack/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Rock N Roll Do to miss Hunter Cup

Rock N Roll Doo is out of the Hunter Cup. https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=59778

No surprise to anybody that knows anything about horses and has critically watched the horse's past few runs.

Still Mick Stanley continues to amaze with his outrageous public comments. Connections are now considering targeting the Miracle Mile (must be an easier task than I ever knew*). Some of Stanley's comments:

“We’re still learning about him. He’s won some staying races, but when he’s able to find the front and do it on his terms".

“Maybe he’s not a stayer? He’s gone super in the sprint races at Menangle and even the Victoria Cup was a middle distance (2240m) not a staying race.

“It’s an interesting stage for him. He’s gone from being the most relaxed horse you’d see into really wanting to fire up and get on with the job in his races.

“The frustrating part is that he’s flying at home. His work is at least as good as Victoria Cup time.”

All this from the man who believed his horse would have no trouble handling the stand in the 2400-metre Ashburton Flying Stakes and the 3200-metre New Zealand Cup. I reckon he must be a slow learner. Everything he has said suggests the horse is telling him it wants a nice green paddock after a thorough set of veterinary tests. What we are witnessing is a car crash in slow-motion.

* Feel free to compile a list of Miracle Mile winners that could not be considered stayers!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    To be accurate Trev, it says he might be out the Cup
    I reckon some would be wondering whether Mick is still the best man to be training Doo
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    To be accurate Trev, it says he might be out the Cup
    I reckon some would be wondering whether Mick is still the best man to be training Doo
    I wonder if a bookie is betting on an exotic double, Rock N Roll Doo not running into Copy That to win. I reckon I could get good odds with Bonno. He reckons Copy That was "somewhat gifted" the lead on Saturday night. Bonno-speak for running straight to the front, I guess.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree, I would take that double
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The fight for the last few spots became tighter when trainer Mick Stanley said Victoria Cup winner Rock N Roll Doo was “very likely” to accept for the race (and get a run) despite some issues in his recent races.

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=59837

It is going to be interesting to see who gets a run

The $500k is a big carrot but I would not be surprised if Anne and Bill give it a miss and settle for The Mercury with Harley and possibly a tilt at the MM after that

I figure Act Now must be concentrating on the $1m MM

Certain to get a start are

Copy That
    Expensive Ego
    I Cast No Shadow
    Spirit of St Louis
    RNR Doo
    Honolua Bay
    Major Meister
    Mach Dan

They say

Old Town Road (but an Oz 5yo who had won only $115k would not get a look in)
    Max Delight - this might be the last time his Vic Cup win of 16mths ago gets him a ticket into a big race

I think they might go with Catch A Wave

There are a few honest performers amongst the rest who might place but cannot win (like RNR Doo)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    The fight for the last few spots became tighter when trainer Mick Stanley said Victoria Cup winner Rock N Roll Doo was “very likely” to accept for the race (and get a run) despite some issues in his recent races.

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=59837

It is going to be interesting to see who gets a run

The $500k is a big carrot but I would not be surprised if Anne and Bill give it a miss and settle for The Mercury with Harley and possibly a tilt at the MM after that

I figure Act Now must be concentrating on the $1m MM

Certain to get a start are

Copy That
    Expensive Ego
    I Cast No Shadow
    Spirit of St Louis
    RNR Doo
    Honolua Bay
    Major Meister
    Mach Dan

They say

Old Town Road (but an Oz 5yo who had won only $115k would not get a look in)
    Max Delight - this might be the last time his Vic Cup win of 16mths ago gets him a ticket into a big race

I think they might go with Catch A Wave

There are a few honest performers amongst the rest who might place but cannot win (like RNR Doo)
    In defence of Old Town Road I don't think there would be too many 11-start Australians capable of stepping up to group racing like he did when a slashing second in the Ashburton Flying Stakes and a very close third in NZ's premier mobile start race, the New Zealand Free For All (behind Self Assured and Majestic Cruiser) at their 12th and 14th race starts. Nothing wrong with his 6th in the NZ Cup in between either.

Your comment is spot on Kev because there isn't an Aussie horse with a comparable record worthy of a start.

+ Reply to Thread