Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ballarat Cup 2023

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Major Meister has come in from $7 to $4.20 while RNR Doo has blown from $4 to $6
    Copy That is still $4 while Cranbourne remains favourite at $3.70

Ants on RNR Doo is going to be interesting but I think we should think of the horse as if he was a stockmarket company
    - no need to buy into him until we see some signs that he has turned things around
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    If they let Cranbourne get away with what he did in the Shep Cup virtually just sprinting the last 400 in 26:6 then they will be left lamenting again.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I thought Mach Dan might have been a chance what with following out Cranbourne but I have gone back and looked at his 2nd in the Cranbourne Cup and been blown away by Major Meister again
    We know he did it at Bendigo too and with a couple of stablemates in the field to make advancing a bit easier it is hard to see how they beat him
    $7 opening odds was a real missed opportunity
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    If they let Cranbourne get away with what he did in the Shep Cup virtually just sprinting the last 400 in 26:6 then they will be left lamenting again.
    Doubt that will happen, Copy That should lead and then jokes are over.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have been waiting to find out from you Trevor, what I suspected, that Cranbourne is not really in the same league as Copy That
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    More proof that the Australian harness racing media are as shallow as a puddle. Look no further than the Trots Vision crew peeing in Cameron Hart's pocket after another Grimson import wins first up in Australia. Bettorzippit backed for a stack, leads and is unchallenged to win the 6th at Ballarat.

Grimson is a genius trainer, they reckon, and he and owner Michael Boots have a great eye for NZ horses. Not a single mention of the following FACTS!
    1. The horse had won 5 of 28 starts in NZ b7t only 1 of 15 last season, racing on the North Island.
    2. The horse was only cleared to Ox on the 16th of January - 5 days ago!

So, what has Jason Grimson done to improve the horse, besides putting the cart on tonight?

I just noticed horse that hung and pulled in the death outside the winner is trained by Andy and was driven by Kate Gath. Nothing to see there.

Oh, it is a l so owned by the owner of the winner. Nothing to see there, either, according to the stewards. But, according to me, the ungenerous racing style of that horse, Whiskey Cavalier, may have prevented any other horse from challenging earlier in the race.
    Last edited by Showgrounds; 01-22-2023 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I have been waiting to find out from you Trevor, what I suspected, that Cranbourne is not really in the same league as Copy That
    Christmas arrived 4 weeks late, but it just shows again that Australian trots media are complete mugs. $4.80 the win, ya gotta be kiddin!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes a very easy win even if Honolua was impressive

Something has worn off for Major Meister or he has been flattened (it cannot be easy being a gypsy horse without a home)
    They probably wont but maybe they should just turn RNR Doo out
    Cranbourne out of his class?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Christmas arrived 4 weeks late, but it just shows again that Australian trots media are complete mugs. $4.80 the win, ya gotta be kiddin!
    He would seem to be the beneficiary of the money that came for Mach Dan
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Now that I've watched the replay a couple of times, some comments.

The Race was all over as soon as Blair Orange went forward on Copy That. Just like the past two NZ Cups, he relaxes but keeps running honest quarters that make other drivers question how much courage they should display.

Cranbourne, as I said, is not up to the real top company. Bonno disagrees, stating that if David Aiken says he is a top horse then he is a top horse. Which, again, proves the media will swallow anything they are told without question. A word of advice, Bonno. The horse is only here waiting for a plane to North America and only ran tonight because it won the Shepparton Cup. That race resembled something you would watch from the banks of the Yarra.

Rock N Roll Doo is resemble a car crash filmed in slow motion. The Race at Cambridge at Easter? Unlikely on yet another performance. I await this week's excuse.

I Cast No Shadow, Majestic Cruiser and the ungenerous Major Meister all ran like claimers. All had been talked up as genuine chances in the big NZ races in the Autumn, such as the $1 million Race by Grins and $400,000 Auckland Cup. Yeah, sure. Copy That would love to welcome them as would a fit and refreshed Self Assured, neither of which take kindly to visitors on their patch. Old Town Road was top run from a second row draw and will gain a lot from this trip. If your going to join the big league you have to race like a big league horse; fails for the Grimson trio tonight.

+ Reply to Thread