On March 9.2012 our horse Millionaire won at Alexandra Park NZ. We were there on the night, it was a normal race for non winners with a total stake of $NZ10,000. After the photo's we were taken to the Owners Room for drinks and to view the replay of the race. As we left the room, we were presented with a complimentary DVD and a presentation box of 2 glasses and a bottle of wine with the winning photo of Millionaire and the win details on the label. I'm told that this happens for every metro race at Alex. Park. They certainly know how to make the owners feel special!
On March 23 2012 our horse Musical Delight won the Youthful Stakes ( $20,000 ) for 2 year old fillies at Tabcorp Park Melton. It is a recognised fillies race and the Honour Roll is printed in the race book. It was the last race of the night. After the race we were herded onto the track for a photo with the sponsor ( not introduced ) the rug was thrown on the filly, and I was handed a box containing the trophy by a race official. As we left the track I thanked the sponsor who was standing to one side. Do you think that this person will sponsor a race at Melton again ? Would you ?
As for the owners , we couldn't celebrate with our 2 free drink tickets as the owners room was closed and we were directed to the Sports Bar. I don't drink at the Sports Bar at Melton and certainly not late at night. I collected my free DVD from the Pro Video van and went home.
Harness Racing Victoria need to have a really hard look at themselves. Their attitude towards owners is pathetic and without the benefit of increased prizemoney owners have very little to look forward too.
I am passionate about the sport and have invested heavily ; service fees alone this year are $117,000.
Sometimes I wonder Why ???