Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A season in reflection....

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan

A season in reflection....

Given its been a bit quiet on the forum lately I thought I try and get some activity going by posting my thoughts on what has been another terrific season of harness racing in Australia.

Personally for the small stable of horses I part own its been a pretty quiet season. Gamechanger has been injured most of the year and only raced once (which should never have happened but my impatience got the better of me) and our 2 two year olds needed time and only had one start between them.

I suppose everyone is attracted to different things within the sport, for me 3yo racing is my favourite followed by the grand circuit stuff.

My highlight this year was watching all the Derbies across Australia and NZ and seeing so many good 3yo's get their turn. The stand out horse for me was Fly Like An Eagle, to be a champion 2yo and to win a NZ Derby and Breeders Crown at 3 is a superb achievement. There are a list of quality 3yo's as long as your arm which makes next seasons 4yo racing a mouth watering prospect.

The last of the Interdoms in its current format was great. A deserved winner in IMTQ and some great racing along the way. Smoken Up continued to delight with some great performances throughout the season, who could forget the night at Melton when he was off the bit the whole way, won and smashed the track record.... just a freak of a horse.

I wasn't as excited by the 2yo's this year until Geoff Webster's Bettors Delight colt, Flaming Flutter sat outside them and went 1.53.9 at Menangle the other week. Australian record time, the 2nd fastest 2yo in Australasia ever behind Smiling Shards 1.53.6 and he did it all from the breeze on a cool winters night at Menangle, what a performance. The feature races where shared by a number of horses from both NZ & Australia with Glenferrie Shuffles demolition in the 2yo fillies Breeders Crown final probably my highlight performance. It will be interesting to see which go on as 3yo's, a very very open crop in my view.

The mares racing in Victoria was also great to watch, capped off by a great swan-song performance by Make Mine Cullen last week. Age & own sex racing is a crucial part of our sports landscape and I urge the authorities to continue to structure race programs that support all areas of the racing population.

I would like to congratulate the many contributors to this forum that have tasted their share of success over the last 12 months. Many of you are heavily involved and fully due the success that has come your way.

I look forward to the next 12 months, on personal level I am confident the 'game will change' for the better for our horses and more broadly I am hopeful the sport will grow and continue to delight us with great racing.

Now over to you all to share your highlights.... positive ones only of course!

Mitch.
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-01-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Nice reflection. Personally, am looking forward to the new season, have a colt that might be ticking all the boxes, just need to know if there is mongrel/stamina lurking so have plenty to ponder on for next few months. Don't worry about the name, you'll hear me wherever you are

Junior Member Yearling matrightyeh will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    john owens
    cant wait for the upcomming season should be great

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Great idea for a thread.

I love watching the young horses, so Im very excited by Majestic Mach. Looks an absolute superstar in the making.

I also am looking forward to our fantastic crop of 4yo's moving into open class. Caribbean Blaster, Sushi Sushi, Excel Stride, Mustang Mach, Terror to Love and Gold Ace.

Personally, it was a very productive season mixed in with the usual frustration.

Our Sixpence showed she is as good as any mare in the country winning The Ranji Bill, and running 2nd to Torque in Motion in the Ladyship Mile and also the Robin Dundee.

Baby Bling only raced a few times as planned but was able to set a new record of 1.52.5 for a 4yo mare. Really looking forward to her next campaign.

Arctic Fire raced really well in the US against the best mares. Unfortunately, got a little sick but hopefully we will get to see her best in the next 12 months.

Snow Cone, Electrastar and Grouse Party House performed well and will really benefit from a good break.

Alashell and Indigo breeze both disappointed for various reasons and have been retired to stud.

On the breeding front, Fly Like an Eagle was the standout for me winning both a NZ Derby and the Breeders Crown. I will be offering a full brother at next years Melb sales so the timing is good!

Flaming Flutter is another who really impressed me and I think he will be a very serious 3yo. Unfortunately I no longer own his dam but will watch his career with great interest.

A number of the just turned 2yos are showing really good promise. In particular, the American Ideal half brother to Baby Bling called Bling it On is one to keep an eye on.

Others that Im excited to see at the races are Arctic Falcon NZ, Flushing Meadows NZ and Dreamlover NZ who all show good abilty.

Now looking forward to the foals hitting the ground

Hopefully a great 12/13 season ahead.
    Last edited by mightymo; 09-03-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Great stuff Harvey, congratulations on all your success. The full brother to Fly Like An Eagle will certainly be popular at the sales.

I managed to forget all about Majestic Mach when writing my post. He was by far and away the outstanding juvenile of the season. To post a 1.55 mile around Albion Park mid way through the season was off the chart!! He is already a superstar and good luck to those who choose to take him on.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Great thread Mitch & good reads everyone

I have just finish my first season as a B grade trainer
    I work a 50hr a week full time job so juggling that with working a few has been tough but pleasureable.
    I have had 2 horses,way past their use by date,in work this season both of which I bought for a combined sum of $1200.
    Both horses have quite alot of "issues" & both have taught me much & given me much satisfaction.
    Both have run personal best mile rates this season so I am stoked with that especially considering my training methods
    are very "gentle"
    Both try their guts out for me so that is most pleasing.
    Highlights for the season for me are the handfull of decent caring people I have met & have forged great friendships with.
    Also seeing trials back at Marburg & generally seeing a massive interest in country style racing being rekindled.
    Biggest highlight was recycling a mad,sour,untractable non trier into a consistant running trier who is now a pleasure to have around.
    I have a 3 young ones coming thru which I am so excited about working with.
    cheers all

Junior Member Weanling Beecow will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brian Cowley
    Occupation
    Writing.
    Good on you, James. You are what the game is really about. Putting sport back into an industry and proving it can offer something to everyone. There are many levels of satisfaction within harness racing and you have found one of the most pleasurable - making a competitive horse out of one who might have been destined to a sad finish. That success might not bring huge financial reward but it leaves you with a wonderful cheque you might be able to cash later - the knowledge you can do what you've done with horses that are average or less so what can you achieve when you get one that's good? That's the stuff that keeps you going. I look forward to hearing more when you get that good horse. Good luck to you.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    cheers Brian..thanks mate I appreciate it.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Great idea for a thread Mitch. Here goes...
    Personal highlight- Came early @ about 1:30am on September 18th, 2011. Helped the colt in my avatar be born and it still gives me a buzz.
    Racing highlight- Betterthancheddar's outstanding effort to post a WR= 1:48.0 in The Ben Franklin at Pocono. Warmed up a cold & miserable Sydney Winter's day in July.
    Best winning salute by a Driver - G. Hall Jnr, ITMQ. WA ID Final. From the line to the gate from the stabling area and beyond. A Blinder!
    Moment of Redemption- Bit Of A Legend's gritty, gutsy win in the ABC Final. Extremely talented colt who overcame adversity to take it all.
    Fitting Finale- Make Mine Cullen going out on top of her game.
    The Dream continues- A Four Starzzz Shark colt we bred has just turned 2yo & back in for his 3rd prep. I really like this bloke, we'll soon see.
    Most enjoyable night at the track- Miracle Mile night, standing on the lawn out at Menangle with Adrian Molloy, Ben Astill, Mark Denyer & Matty Hammond.
    Last edited by Triple V; 09-05-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added the last one.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Good job Mitch!
    Seeing our very, very brave horse win a M0 at Melton be highlight for me I reckon. Highlight of all my years involved in fact. But also seeing my young son (who has traveled many miles with me to watch horses run) mature into the young man he is today. He is always very optimistic about our game (something lacking in many others who should know better). We will be travelling many more miles for many years to come (I hope!).

+ Reply to Thread