Roll With Joe

Thread: A season in reflection....

Threaded View

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan

A season in reflection....

Given its been a bit quiet on the forum lately I thought I try and get some activity going by posting my thoughts on what has been another terrific season of harness racing in Australia.

Personally for the small stable of horses I part own its been a pretty quiet season. Gamechanger has been injured most of the year and only raced once (which should never have happened but my impatience got the better of me) and our 2 two year olds needed time and only had one start between them.

I suppose everyone is attracted to different things within the sport, for me 3yo racing is my favourite followed by the grand circuit stuff.

My highlight this year was watching all the Derbies across Australia and NZ and seeing so many good 3yo's get their turn. The stand out horse for me was Fly Like An Eagle, to be a champion 2yo and to win a NZ Derby and Breeders Crown at 3 is a superb achievement. There are a list of quality 3yo's as long as your arm which makes next seasons 4yo racing a mouth watering prospect.

The last of the Interdoms in its current format was great. A deserved winner in IMTQ and some great racing along the way. Smoken Up continued to delight with some great performances throughout the season, who could forget the night at Melton when he was off the bit the whole way, won and smashed the track record.... just a freak of a horse.

I wasn't as excited by the 2yo's this year until Geoff Webster's Bettors Delight colt, Flaming Flutter sat outside them and went 1.53.9 at Menangle the other week. Australian record time, the 2nd fastest 2yo in Australasia ever behind Smiling Shards 1.53.6 and he did it all from the breeze on a cool winters night at Menangle, what a performance. The feature races where shared by a number of horses from both NZ & Australia with Glenferrie Shuffles demolition in the 2yo fillies Breeders Crown final probably my highlight performance. It will be interesting to see which go on as 3yo's, a very very open crop in my view.

The mares racing in Victoria was also great to watch, capped off by a great swan-song performance by Make Mine Cullen last week. Age & own sex racing is a crucial part of our sports landscape and I urge the authorities to continue to structure race programs that support all areas of the racing population.

I would like to congratulate the many contributors to this forum that have tasted their share of success over the last 12 months. Many of you are heavily involved and fully due the success that has come your way.

I look forward to the next 12 months, on personal level I am confident the 'game will change' for the better for our horses and more broadly I am hopeful the sport will grow and continue to delight us with great racing.

Now over to you all to share your highlights.... positive ones only of course!

Mitch.
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-01-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake