Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Standing Start V Mobile Barrier

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Standing Start V Mobile Barrier

On last weeks In The Gig they raised the topic of the standing start and in essence is it past its used by date.

In the first at Menangle today, a T0/T1 mobile over a mile, the $2.20 fav got left 50m at the start, just scoring up too slowly and the $2.60 2nd fav went off stride as the gate swung away. Both horses chances were gone at that point, mind you Who Elses run was a big pointer for the future. Nothing untoward suggested here either.

Just saying that there is no such thing as a certainty in racing, in this case the mobile was there to protect the interests of punters and connections alike yet things can still go awry even with the best of intentions. No matter how much you do to sure up runners chances, shit just happens. By the way Lenny, you made a good point with your tweet on that show. How indeed in 2012 do the strands still not release properly?

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly

I remember when.....

Way,way back,before the mobile was a twinkle in a mechanics eye,there were horses, both square gaiters and pacers who couldn't leave the barrier cleanly.However they were few and far between because the education of the horse included quite intense practice at the barrier.I can remember a horse that Norm Gath (Adelaide) had that would not leave the barrier,full stop.Mobile introduced in Melbourne,horse (name escapes me) goes north and becomes a cups/FFA runner.
    So,horses for courses? Maybe.My opinion,for what it's worth, is that barrier practice is a forgotten art and the consequences of bad barrier behaviour are not so tough.
    N.Z. has the right idea,break in the score-up,cause interference, and outside of the back row you go.
    Another reason for horses breaking,especially square gaiters,is poor shoeing.A good farrier is worth as much as a good vet to a professional stable.
    Having said that, the cynic in me asks that when a clean gaited horse inexplicably breaks or gallops at the barrier (or a TB misses the start) is it a result of poor education
    or ?????

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    [QUOTE=2minuteman;23265]
    N.Z. has the right idea,break in the score-up,cause interference, and outside of the back row you go.

Sorry Ron.. At the annual conference of clubs in NZ a remit was voted for that NZ follow Aust in regards to horses breaking behind the arm during the score up... One of many rules that are being changed to allign with Australia to protect the punter interest.
    Personally I have horses who have impeccable standing start manners from practice but clubs persist in programming mobiles.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    An outstanding field has come together for the standing start Avon City Ford Cup at Addington this Friday night.
    It will be Sushi Sushi's first attempt at a standing start as he aims up on the New Zealand Cup in early November.
    Also in the race are Auckland Reactor, Terror To Love, Gold Ace, Highview Tommy, Franco Emirate, Mah Sish and Sleepy Trip.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Teecee, I reckon thats a bit ordinary that your industry has voted to align your rules to suit the Australian punting product, can only summise it is dollar driven to cash in on extra revenue produced from Aussie tote pools? From what I see from Sky broadcasts, your standing start races on the whole generally produce rock solid starts from some pretty well-drilled horses. Will bet my patootie that the European SB clubs are not going to change any of their rules to suit the Aussie punter, for example if your horse gallops during running over there, well thats it, pull it up because it is DQ'ed, no second chances. Notice also when your horses are purchased by Aussies and they are having their first start over here, they are often very short in the market, usually faultless and invariably win first up. Are we just cashing in on the effort you guys are putting into your horses to get them to race with better manners?

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    An outstanding field has come together for the standing start Avon City Ford Cup at Addington this Friday night.
    It will be Sushi Sushi's first attempt at a standing start as he aims up on the New Zealand Cup in early November.
    Also in the race are Auckland Reactor, Terror To Love, Gold Ace, Highview Tommy, Franco Emirate, Mah Sish and Sleepy Trip.
    Thats a race to salivate over Trevor, will be interesting to see what Mark has done with Sushi and how well schooled he is for the stand. See Natalie is in the bike and Mark will drive the Reactor.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    As far as Standing Stars go & the invariably well & truly in excess of 1 Mile distances that come with them, I've long thought it is pretty bloody ridiculous that Australian & NZ Breeders patronise US/CAN shuttle & imported sires that are essentially high speed stayers, bred to rip out of a mobile start & go as hard as they can all the way over 1 Mile, then ask the resulting progeny to start from a stand and race over distances up to a Mile & 7/8th's.

Further to that I've never really understood why Standardbred Breeders in the Southern Hemipshere try to breed a Jack Of All Trades type of horse.

I don't know why we don't deliniate the breed somewhat, perhaps not to the extent that the TB's do...from Golden Slipper type to Melbourne Cup type...but at the very least something along those lines?.

There are definitely families within the Breed that go fast & early & don't tend to improve much beyond what they do at 2 & 3 and there are others that are maybe not so good at producing juveniles but that race on and on as aged horses.

At the very least I don't know why we do not acknowledge and even celebrate those varying genetic aspects ala the way the TB's do, rather than maintaining this ridiculous mindest that our horses have to be all things to all people, thinking that a given horse or sire came up short if it or ots progeny did not race on beyond 3yrs or that it or ots progeny came up short because it/they didn't race as a juvenile and instead came on as older horses.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    [QUOTE=eliteblood;23270]An outstanding field has come together for the standing start Avon City Ford Cup at Addington this Friday night.
    Also in the race are Auckland Reactor, Terror To Love, Gold Ace, Highview Tommy, Franco Emirate, Mah Sish and Sleepy Trip.[/QUOT

Sushi Sushi scratched

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Sushi scratched again !
    That's disappointing Mango.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Sushi scratched again !
    That's disappointing Mango.
    Minor blood disorder. Taking no chances but he is not the only one in the stable with the same problem.

+ Reply to Thread