Page 80 of 94 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast

Thread: cobalt

Member Gelding Big Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dean mac
    Horses
    Greg The Great
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I have not read it all but knew his case was going to be quite different from O'Brien and Kavanagh in that there was no vet implicated especially none that were shared with a son who had already pleaded guilty
    Then where does the hope family fit.
    No shonky vet there. Just not as high profile. But they seem to have copped it.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am definitely not saying I agree with the verdict Dean, simply that it was going to be harder to prove because of the line the defence was taking
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    If he doesn't get at least 6 months the whole thing is a joke!
    https://www.punters.com.au/news/Pete...ign=newsletter

Just the 6 mths really - he will take winter off and be back in Spring (amazing how it works for him! )
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horserac...21-gnn4dh.html

Patrick Bartley is certainly baffled by the Moody decision.

The crux of the article:

"This science provided the stewards and their lawyers with a simple premise: one cannot exceed the raceday threshold through normal practices.

This also meant that the only explanation for such administration was the belief or intent that performance was affected.

Judge Lewis accepted the science of cobalt as proposed by the stewards and all individuals (the Hopes, O'Brien, Kavanagh and Brennan) were found guilty of administering a prohibitive substance, cobalt, to affect performance in a race.

Last Wednesday, Judge Bowman said the board was sceptical of Moody's explanation that cobalt, in the form of the feed additive Avalia, had caused Lidari's elevated reading of 410mcg/L.

But the board was not satisfied that Moody administered or caused to be administered cobalt for the purpose of affecting performance. As a result, Moody was cleared of the serious doping charge.

The board did not draw any inferences as to why Moody administered cobalt.

The Bowman board seemed to accept that sloppy stable feeding practices or some stable error had caused Lidari's reading, but surely sloppy practices do not explain one isolated positive in a 100-horse stable. So if it wasn't the feed, how did the cobalt get into Lidari?"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horserac...#ixzz43aDvwutz
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Pena will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Peters
    Does Patrick Bartley actually like horse racing?? I know he was barred from the Caulfield media room and to be honest I find it difficult to take anything he writes seriously as I cannot help but think of my father saying the word, Nark when ever I read his stories.
    In recent time Chris Waller was given a fine for Lasiyx in the Metropolitan and only received a fine. Mistakes happen and surely if Peter Moody has a stable of 100 horses and only one has an elevated reading surely there is a reasonable chance of a mistake happening. Its fantastic to think that a trainer has ultimate responsibility but if racing wants big stables then the trainer cannot do everything and must depend on and trust others. Mistakes happen, just like people have car accidents.
    Every case should be accessed on its merits and people like Kavanagh and O'Brien in the gallops and Rhys Nicholson in harness deserve everything they get and more in my opinion. However I am yet to be convinced that the whole cobalt issue is as simply as some of the people in authority think.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You sound like you want to shoot the messenger Jack. A nark is an 'informer' and that is exactly want I want from my journalists. I want to know what actually goes on because I am first and foremost a horse lover (maybe Patrick is too)
    We should not ignore the fact that Lidari had a reading of 400 when our generous limit is 200, while Hong Kong's is 100 and the average horse tests at 5
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would seem that it could/did happen.
    The only things I find confusing about the article is that you would think that if it was a bad batch - that many horses would have been affected. Maybe it is a product that is rarely used by racing trainers and yet it is 'a commonly used feed additive'
    The fact that is a commonly used feed additive makes it surprising that it has been discontinued.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian

Facts are Facts

http://www.riu.org.nz/announcements/...squalification

Yes Kevin, Facts are Facts frightening isn't it when perceptions are challenged. But a man's livelihood and reputation was called into dispute. I am glad scientific evidence cleared the trainer in question. No need for you to be confused.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    http://www.riu.org.nz/announcements/...squalification

Yes Kevin, Facts are Facts frightening isn't it when perceptions are challenged. But a man's livelihood and reputation was called into dispute. I am glad scientific evidence cleared the trainer in question. No need for you to be confused.
    I will never assume anything is 100% fact just because it has been reported or gone through a judicial system mj
    Of course this man's reputation was on the line whether it was his doing, bad luck etc as he is in a position of responsibility and the positive was a fact
    I'm afraid I am a meticulous, questioning type and am still confused/surprised as you did not answer my questions about why the batch did not result in other positives and why an apparently respected manufacturer would stop producing a commonly used product - maybe they cannot guarantee quality
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread