Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloured Horses

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Lot 136 at the Melbourne APG is a Palomino!

https://harnesslink.com/australia/ap...a-world-first/

Here's hoping he is better than the one in the post above (yet to race) but I don't hold much hope as his Sire and Grandsire had no ability (I went to Horsham to see his first start)

He would be great for the sport
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-28-2022 at 07:15 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Fancy paying up for the APG for this thing when you could use the money as a down payment on the harbour bridge! Stats don't lie, the vendor would be better off copping 10 grand for it as a show horse.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I can remember a good horse that appeared all white but was probably a light grey that raced with distinction at the Showgrounds around about 1970.
    I thought the name might have been Beechworth but a search says no such horse existed. I have a vague recollection that he also had a bit of a strange action in that he threw his near hind leg out.
    Can anyone remember the name of the horse I am thinking of
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    A grey gelding from SA called Beechway but, for whatever reason, is not listed on the HRA website. Pretty sure he was by the great sire Sheffield Globe and both his hind legs swung like a pendulum. But he was a grey, not a palomino. I'll go through my old racebooks and find him. A safe bet he had Machine Again in his maternal pedigree to be a grey.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Beechway

I found him, a 1966 grey gelding by Sheffield Globe from Beauty Point. Here is his pedigree:

https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/...pedigree/68099

I lost my bet about Machine Again being in his pedigree, the grey colour comes from his maternal 4th dam Blue Glen, who was born 100 years ago in NZ. Beachway was the second foal of the Good Report mare Beauty Point, the first being Kevin Brook's top trotter Beau Power which won an Australasian Trotters Championship when that grandiose title meant something.
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-12-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: 1966 not 1996

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks so very, very much Trevor, for years I have never been able to find him - Beachway, I knew it was a compound word with a space but was thinking Bee
    Now that I finally have a name, when I get back to the Gap, I will now be able to look up his performances in the Year Books
    You described his hind leg action perfectly
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-29-2022 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I see Beauty Point only had 2 filly half sisters to Beachway and although one bred on, the line has now died out
    I see the 2nd dam has a few descendants listed on ClassicFamilies so I will be researching her tomorrow.
    Thanks again Trevor

https://classicfamilies.azurewebsite...rseID=10015685
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Beachway belongs to the N124 family (not particularly strong) which is called the Blue Glen family after the 1921 NZ grey mare of that name (we know her dam Sylvia was also grey) hence his colour

One of Blue Glen's foals was the 1945 roan filly Power Point (NZ born but not in their db ?) which was exported to Australia and is Beachway's 2nd dam
    Blue Glen's other daughter Shady Glen bred on through her daughters Blue Cloud (in NZ db !) and Glen Grattan (not in NZ db ?) who were also exported to Australia
    Which is why most of this New Zealand family is/was in Australia

A half bro of Beachway's was Beau Power who won the 1971 Gp1 Vic Australasian Trotting Championship (won by Maori Law last year)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    In the late 1970's I was involved with an owner who bought a broodmare we sourced in NZ. A Lumber Dream mare, also named Blue Glen! A bay, not a grey.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    When the AHRI facebook page highlighted the coming Melbourne Lot 136
    A poster mentioned a 1940's horse Palomino Girl who raced (in NSW?) but when you search for her on HRA you wont find her listed as one of the two starters of her sire, Royals Last.
    You will however see that she is listed as Cream
    She had a few foals, 3 listed as Cream and one - Turbid (1952) definitely raced
    There are also 2 full bro's of Turbid's listed as Chestnut

T. Pryor NSW is listed as Palomino Girls breeder

ClassicFamilies lists her as the foundation mare for family A2041

https://classicfamilies.azurewebsite...rseID=10206095

If anybody knows anything at all about this mare, I would love to hear more
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-01-2022 at 01:10 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread