Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Replacement. (Musical chairs)

Hybrid View

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Sam's Replacement. (Musical chairs)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Amazing how they spend good money on recruiting to make an in-house appointment. Behind the sale of HP - that is not necessarily a credit
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    Hi Kev
    I read your posts with interest and great empathy, but sadly, people of your ilk and many on this board are few and far between. Harness Racing is in terminal decline, the sport here mirrors what happens in the US and that unfortunately is solely based on wagering. Hobbyists once the backbone of the industry will soon be eradicated. Country tracks will gradually go out of commission. I was once a member of Harold Park, but the type of action and excitement that witnessed there every Friday night has long since passed. I can recall far from the glory days of HP with an ensemble of wags and punters and bookmakers that made it a very entertaining night, where the recently resigned CEO (then in another guise) would interact with us freely as we all sought to identify a winner and who was going and who was not.

It's not hard to see where the sport is heading, the shift to Menangle & Melton have long term implications that will only see the replication of US racing, which in general lacks the engagement of half mile / five eighths tracks. I know you love Stawell, may I suggest Mt Gambier on a Saturday night - very hard to beat.

The biggest issue facing the industry is unquestionably the drug question. If Lance Armstrong didn't set off alarm bells in the industry then nothing well. I applaud the work being done here, but you don't need to be Einstein to work out that the chemists remain way ahead of the testers. The recent publication of cobalt threshold tests cast further doubt on what is already a questionable area. The "horsemen" who can magically "improve" horses within weeks must be feeding and working there horses very differently to everyone else.

I feel for the honest hard working hobbyists and semi pro participants who actually keep the game alive only to be effectively cheated out of a chance to race on a level playing field, it's a disgrace. Perhaps they should have built that straight one mile track at Maryborough with no access for patrons, pretty soon that's all you will have left.

As for the move from HP to Menangle, I know the facility is probably fantastic, but I've only been once and I found it soulless and so far away from HP that I never went back. When I was frequenting HP, Mr V'Landys was in charge and he was only interested in one thing and that was getting every dollar he could from you, his offsider used to be referred to as Dumb and Dumber, now he is the CEO of HRNSW! Realistically, Harold Park was becoming increasingly hard to get to for participants but there should have been a middle earth option.

I suppose the rock bottom for me occurred on Tuesday morning, I switched on the box to check the news and saw a couple of people at Bankstown with a mob of camels, I then started reading some of the propaganda emanating from the Directors and just shook my head, that's what it's come to.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister JayKO View Post
    Hi Kev
    I read your posts with interest and great empathy, but sadly, people of your ilk and many on this board are few and far between. Harness Racing is in terminal decline, the sport here mirrors what happens in the US and that unfortunately is solely based on wagering. Hobbyists once the backbone of the industry will soon be eradicated. Country tracks will gradually go out of commission. I was once a member of Harold Park, but the type of action and excitement that witnessed there every Friday night has long since passed. I can recall far from the glory days of HP with an ensemble of wags and punters and bookmakers that made it a very entertaining night, where the recently resigned CEO (then in another guise) would interact with us freely as we all sought to identify a winner and who was going and who was not.

It's not hard to see where the sport is heading, the shift to Menangle & Melton have long term implications that will only see the replication of US racing, which in general lacks the engagement of half mile / five eighths tracks. I know you love Stawell, may I suggest Mt Gambier on a Saturday night - very hard to beat.

The biggest issue facing the industry is unquestionably the drug question. If Lance Armstrong didn't set off alarm bells in the industry then nothing well. I applaud the work being done here, but you don't need to be Einstein to work out that the chemists remain way ahead of the testers. The recent publication of cobalt threshold tests cast further doubt on what is already a questionable area. The "horsemen" who can magically "improve" horses within weeks must be feeding and working there horses very differently to everyone else.

I feel for the honest hard working hobbyists and semi pro participants who actually keep the game alive only to be effectively cheated out of a chance to race on a level playing field, it's a disgrace. Perhaps they should have built that straight one mile track at Maryborough with no access for patrons, pretty soon that's all you will have left.

As for the move from HP to Menangle, I know the facility is probably fantastic, but I've only been once and I found it soulless and so far away from HP that I never went back. When I was frequenting HP, Mr V'Landys was in charge and he was only interested in one thing and that was getting every dollar he could from you, his offsider used to be referred to as Dumb and Dumber, now he is the CEO of HRNSW! Realistically, Harold Park was becoming increasingly hard to get to for participants but there should have been a middle earth option.

I suppose the rock bottom for me occurred on Tuesday morning, I switched on the box to check the news and saw a couple of people at Bankstown with a mob of camels, I then started reading some of the propaganda emanating from the Directors and just shook my head, that's what it's come to.
    One of the best posts i've ever read on this forum! Well done.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good to hear from you Stu. Starting at the end I shook my head when I saw the camels.

I know TeeCee does not like the drugs being brought up all the time but many are asking WHAT and HOW to the following statement of yours

The "horsemen" who can magically "improve" horses within weeks must be feeding and working there horses very differently to everyone else.

Time is crucial if we are to prosper rather than decline, it seems to me that there are people with a wealth of experience (and that is not me) who are being ignored because they are asking the hard questions.

I like to think that Stawell is doing OK because they are not for profit club who are covering expenses thanks to the Pokies. I don't know for sure but I am about to become a member now that I have settled here.

The reliance on Pokies poses less ethical questions for me when the money is going back into the community and not some millionaires pocket

You were more on topic, I had better stop before I derail this thread
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    I do wonder whether the last 2 posts are not more relevant in another thread????

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    I do wonder whether the last 2 posts are not more relevant in another thread????
    Absolutely NOT. These posts represent the general opinion of participants about the malaise of Harness Racing. This appointment only underlines the lack of foresight and therefore a guarantee to consign Harness Racing to the 'Junk or Deleted' folder. It's like this industry has a death wish.

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Absolutely NOT. These posts represent the general opinion of participants about the malaise of Harness Racing. This appointment only underlines the lack of foresight and therefore a guarantee to consign Harness Racing to the 'Junk or Deleted' folder. It's like this industry has a death wish.
    L Balmer was always a name to be respected when appearing in the Race book at Harold Park because you knew what you were going to get - a fit horse and a driver always having a go!

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Lee, I think its fair to say we as an industry have struggled to get the balance right between keeping harness racing traditions, and trying to keep our sport relevent in todays society.
    Last edited by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild; 08-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Senior Member Colt Lethal is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Lee Balmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Lee, I have felt that over the last few years, we as an industry have struggled to get the balance right between keeping harness racing traditions, and trying to keep our sport relevent in todays society.
    Lee to Leigh,
    I'm not sure that reverting back to the era before government control (when Harold Park-NSWTC was the controlling body) is the way to go. This appointment was overseen by an ex president of NSWHRC who has appointed an ex CEO of said club?

+ Reply to Thread