Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    No sprint lane didn't effect the result in the Cup, some desperate drivers took the sprint out of most of them. And that is the big difference, no follow the leader and wait for the sprint lane tactics. And what an exciting race we got!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am not for sprint lanes but I can't understand how a couple of tracks can be exempt - a bit like, how Collingwood refuse to have an Away jumper (Go Blues)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    So Ballarat has to have a sprint lane tonight for consistency across the Inter venues
    If this is deemed necessary, I cannot see why it doesn't have to have a sprint lane all the time
    Or no venue have them - an option I once strongly preferred but I must admit I have softened on this viewpoint (and think it might be too late to reverse their dominance)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    https://www-harness-org-au.akamaized...PC26112203.mp4
    I'm all go for the sprint lane.. horses need to be able to run to the line on a loose reign in my book. The 2nd race at GP last night(Sat), I had a small wager on El Jessie who was a big roughie, classic example of why not to bet at GP unless you lead or can breeze.
    Last edited by Big K; 12-02-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No luck for El Jessie Kev but I wouldn't have minded a few bob on the winner at $51, who came from the 1x1
    It would have been interesting to see what El Jessie might have done if she kept the lead as she took some restraining to give it up and then proceeded to pull
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Hey yea for sure, in hindsight I think that would have been the best option but it was a roughie and the other was the short priced fav who was persisting.. but it's not as very good look in my opinion and my pocket says the same. I know the winner was 1x1 but they get trapped too at GP a lot of the time if they don't go early in better races. To be leading or breezing at the bell goes best usually at GP. But yep just wanted to highlight a negative aspect of not having a sprint lane.

Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    El Jessie a big chance tonight at my home track in Wagin.. no sprint lane but if it can hold the lead!! Actually a bit of value in a lot of the races tonight.. sorry a bit off topic but just giving the home track a plug!!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I may not be of sane mind (not very well at present) but I think the boring WA Pacing Cup without one
    and then seeing in R1 at Melton tonight what a sprint lane can produce
    I am a convert
    It was only the existence of the sprint lane that prompted the serious challenge of the fav and leader - it failed but McGuigan knew that if he did not get the lead the sit/sprint lane may be an option

If there had been one at GP last night Magnificent Storm may have gone on with his challenge
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    If the race is run at a solid pace there may not be the need for a sprint lane at GP but presently there seems to be a mad dash for the first 400 metres and then put the brakes on especially in the lower classes I know of four drivers that use these tactics. Around the bend to the finish, drivers have got a stronghold of their horses and consistently look around keeping others behind them clamouring for a bit of space it's surprising there aren't more accidents. At this time of the year and with the condition of the track there's no excuse especially for G1 horses to be dawdling around at a 1:57 - 1:59 mile rate. Time for a sprint lane.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Watching Conner Clarke do a beautiful job of stitching up the favourite in R7 at Ballarat tonight
    I cannot help but wonder what a relatively knew punter/follower would make of it
    Eg "What do you mean Ballarat does not have a Sprint Lane - how come?"

It has gone on for too long - ALL OR NONE

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...23#BAC25052303
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread