Forever Gold
    Bettor Rock On
    Our Hi Jinx
    Saucy Legend
    Heza Thrill

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Fields out for the Coca Cola Sprint meeting. The winner of the feature gains an invite to the MM.
    Easy On The Eye drew the ace giving him the perfect opportunity to prove he is a contender.
    Teo Enteo drawn to get a cosy run behind the probable leader (1) out of barrier 2.
    The big guns drawn out a little wider....Guaranteed in 5 & Beautide in 8.
    Cracking field. My first inkling is Teo for a place at around the $3.5 mark.
    *above barriers are with both Em out.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Great field, even though I would have thought SSL should have been there.. Mark Dennis in and not SSL?
    EOTE with the gifted draw, loves to lead and run along, as Brent mentioned all the top guns out wide.. They will go hard, & if BOB gets a good cart behind a good horse, he might just be the one steam rolling them at the very end... I'm cheering BOB, Gauranteed, ABOP

Member Gelding Big Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dean mac
    Horses
    Greg The Great
    Not the best draw for BOB. He never seems to be able to get a favourable draw in any of the bigger races. He needs a few things to go his way, but I'll be cheering.

Member Gelding Big Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dean mac
    Horses
    Greg The Great
    I took the $41 on offer for Bob in the MM. If he wins this week and gets an invite, it looks like a good value punt. Already into $26

Junior Member Yearling MJD will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Matthew Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    Great field, even though I would have thought SSL should have been there.. Mark Dennis in and not SSL?
    EOTE with the gifted draw, loves to lead and run along, as Brent mentioned all the top guns out wide.. They will go hard, & if BOB gets a good cart behind a good horse, he might just be the one steam rolling them at the very end... I'm cheering BOB, Gauranteed, ABOP
    Saw a tweet from Greg Hayes that SSL to go to Cordina Sprint. Philadelphia Man going to Cordina Sprint, Gareth Hall tweeting that Emma Stewart said PM has a minir issue but should be right. Great field this week. The trouble from this week & next week is that a number of good horses are going to miss a MM invite.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Ahh, that's right, the Cordinia Sprint still to come! We will see what PM is made of next week.. SSL will be hard to hold out!
    So many fantastic clashes coming up, it's exciting times. I want to see new rivalries born, just like Trigger v Quinny

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Just as the barrier draw plays a major role in determining the winner of the MM, so does the draw of these 'qualifying' lead up races. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure I like the current format of field selection. I don't believe we will always get the best field possible.

Take last weeks mile at Newcastle.....the draw was the undeniable factor in SSL not winning. He now has to take his place in the Cordina and history tells us the winner here never (once maybe?) even fills a place in the MM. I'm not a big fan of talking hypotheticals but soon we will see an outsider win one of these qualifiers as a result of the type of battle we saw between the two big guns in the Newcastle Mile and they will take the spot of a more legit star. IMO let all these stars go to battle and then select the field manually (and cross our fingers there's not an Our Sir Vancelot style stuff up).

BOB will be a casualty of the criteria unfortunately Smoken. No way can he win from out there.......drawn 1, I believe he could go real close to winning a Miracle Mile!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Just as the barrier draw plays a major role in determining the winner of the MM, so does the draw of these 'qualifying' lead up races. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure I like the current format of field selection. I don't believe we will always get the best field possible.

Take last weeks mile at Newcastle.....the draw was the undeniable factor in SSL not winning. He now has to take his place in the Cordina and history tells us the winner here never (once maybe?) even fills a place in the MM. I'm not a big fan of talking hypotheticals but soon we will see an outsider win one of these qualifiers as a result of the type of battle we saw between the two big guns in the Newcastle Mile and they will take the spot of a more legit star. IMO let all these stars go to battle and then select the field manually (and cross our fingers there's not an Our Sir Vancelot style stuff up).

BOB will be a casualty of the criteria unfortunately Smoken. No way can he win from out there.......drawn 1, I believe he could go real close to winning a Miracle Mile!
    I was actually thinking the total opposite last night, in that this qualifying system is great.
    Even if these races weren't official qualifiers, how else would SSL get in the field? Would he have been invited on the back of winning $30K Sydney FFAs? I reckon it's more deserving getting in by winning elite FFAs.
    It's hard to say what will happen in NZ but for me all of TTL, CM and FAR deserve a gig. Will all three get a gig? Not sure, it's quite possible only one of the three will. Then you have possibility something else wins today. But working on basis all three get a gig, that still leaves at least one spot (could be up to three or four some years) for an unlucky horse from the qualifiers. So while this year it could be tight at the top, most years will have a couple spots to get a real good but unlucky horse in anyway. And the best thing is the form will be exposted, rather than guessing the form between QLD, NSW, Vic etc.

You make mention of the possibility of an upset in the Newcastle Mile. Yet surely having SSL and Avonnova in the race in the first place gets us a better result than Special Albert, Saucy Legend (invited but declined by Fitzpatrick IIRC), Rohan Home and Raglan.

The Cordina was traditionally a last ditched attempt to get in, so the other horses already invited were seen to be better than you anyway. No wonder the Cordina doesn't have a great track record. Under this format there is/will be 2 or 3 spots left heading into the Cordina so I expect the results from the Cordina will improve.

Another reason the qualifiers are great is we can actually align Guaranteed, Bitobliss and Philadelphia Man up with the rest of the horses. This is the best way to getting the best field rather than just guessing which horse to invite, eg Make Mine Cullen ahead of Melpark Major.

I'm all for the qualifiers!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    I could soon have egg on my face, but whilst Bitobliss has been a great horse for connections winning 500K, his Gr 1 record is terrible. 9 starts for 1 second and 1 third

He just seems to struggle against the real topliners

+ Reply to Thread