Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Could G Hall harm WA racing

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

Could G Hall harm WA racing

Firstly, G Hall snr is a great trainer and this comment is not a personal attack.

Using the State Premiership numbers for the top 10 Metro trainers it appears he is so dominate with 40% of the 270 races with 108 winners and of the $4.8m offered in prizemoney, his stable has pocketed over $2m.

Can the rest of the trainers survive without a better share of the prizemoney, I think it is accepted that training fees alone will not support a stable.

In the longer term could we see a decrease in trainer numbers in the West that feel they can't compete against such a strong stable.

Adding 2nd & 3rd on the list (14.8% and 12.2%) that's 67% to 3 trainers and the rest must try and survive on 33% of the pool.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That is scary dominance Bailey. I wonder what % of stakemoney the Allstar team take over in NZ? (I might have to research that one)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Its nothing new,he been the leading trainer by a big margin for a number of years now. Its simple he has owners who are prepared to spend big money buying top class going horses from nz , he works them hard gets them very fit, and around the 800meter track they normally lead or death seat so they control the race and very hard to beat.You can't penalties someone for beeing better than most.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Jack, your comments are spot on and no reference was made to restrict him.
    Will up and coming plus current trainers be able to survive financially when a single trainer is so dominate, be it WA or any other State.
    For instance, at present the multiple runners, people could say Team driving or "we can't beat them" so trainers don't nominate and smaller fields.
    This is the type of thing I was referring to,as being harmful.
    I'm sure others will think of other consequences.

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    Hi Bailey I do not believe it causes too much of a problem [Tommy Smith was on top for how many years?]. IMO Snrs time at the top is numbered just like the Warwicks, the Kersleys and any other trainer who manages to have good owners and great nags. I believe they (horse and trainer) bring people to the trots to see them win/lose which in the long run ultimately helps the game. Hopefully this is the case as I wish to enter the game later this year or earlier next year. I will be utilising the fella down the road who trains his own as a hobby. He has bred, trained and raced horses with success. As a apprentice soothsayer I think the Bonds will replace senior and be the next dominant force in WA

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Jim, understand your reference to Tommy Smith but times have changed since those days and harness racing has not progressed as we would hope.
    Another point you mention is worth thought imo, having good owners with the money to invest, it's a shame the majority of G Hall's good stock are from NZ.
    This does not help the local breeding industry as against Mick Lombardo some years ago.
    Good luck with your training venture, are you intending to race local or imported stock?

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    Hi Bailey Thanks for your comments but I am still convinced it is cyclical and although TJ has gone so have Waterhouse, Snowden, Hawkes etc. I agree with you that Snr seems to get a lot of his stock from NZ and currently has another beauty in Beaudine Boaz. Unfortunately most appear to be geldings Quinny, Beaudine Boaz are geldings and the Falcon Strike went to Qld and was a bit of a let down. As for me just wish to own and would more than likely buy local (Perth) rather than incurring the freight costs of buying in the east and then shipping home. Maybe could borrow a horse float and have an adventure across the nullabor. "Nullabor Nymph spotted riding bare back on Horse" Anyone apart from me old enough to remember the Nullabor Nymph in the early to mid seventies

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    The Hall model is to purchase tried and tested horses from elsewhere, bring them over, work them hard and start cashing in. He and his team have a great eye for talent (and the type that will suit his training style) and obviously good bloodstock agents who can source opportunities. The more success he has, the bigger warchest his owners have to buy the next one. Unfortunately, when a model is succesfull, others will replicate it and the result harms the breeding industry. Why would he ask his owners to stump the cash for a yearling, pay fees for 12 months, only to find out if the thing can actually go? His current model offers a return on investment in a much shorter time frame and when you are reaching for your wallet this is a massive contributing factor to the decision you make. I would love to see a team like his invest more in locally bred horses but it is his business and he can do as he pleases. The crowds still look pretty good at GP so I would say he isn't doing any harm at all.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    ^^^^ Well Said!!

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Glen, thanks for the model summary of G Hall, you are spot on.
    Back to my original post, given this success and the amount of winners/prizemoney going to one stable, could this work against others coming into the training industry in WA as they feel they could not make a living from it....the top 3 trainers take out 67%.
    Does anyone have stats on trainer numbers in WA?
    Do the strong get stronger and the industry weaker.

+ Reply to Thread