Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Harness whip rules

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It really is all about looking good for 'supposedly' having a rule. I have asked Vic Chief Steward Brett Day about it several times and used to get replies - not anymore. I have contacted Andrew Kelly, who also used to reply, 3 times in the last 3 months I have sent him more or less the same email which is supporting his 'flicking' rule but cannot even get a reply from him anymore either
    I know they don't have to take any notice of us rank and file fans but it really makes me think that any input about how to save the harness industry is totally falling on deaf ears - I think we are doomed.
    Brett Day will also not reply to my question as to whether Douglas and Tormey have got off - If it is indeed true, I will be seriously reconsidering my interest
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If you want to see what a joke the NON enforcement of the whip rule has become look at R2 at Melton yesterday (highlighted on PPs blog today)
    I don't care how long they rub George out for (probably not long) - it is the fact that he wins by a HFHD and is allowed to keep the race

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...22#MXC26102205

ps Don't try telling me George is a horse lover, if he thinks he is, then he just does not get it (but he has plenty of company)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    If you want to see what a joke the NON enforcement of the whip rule has become look at R2 at Melton yesterday (highlighted on PPs blog today)
    I don't care how long they rub George out for (probably not long) - it is the fact that he wins by a HFHD and is allowed to keep the race

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...22#MXC26102205

ps Don't try telling me George is a horse lover, if he thinks he is, then he just does not get it (but he has plenty of company)
    I watched the race and thought I was watching a Saturday arvo race from Rocklea, circa 1975. I note the driver is only 18, no doubt he had a big rush of adrenalin when the horse started to sprint down the back. What a joke - the stewards charged young George for "using more than a wrist-flicking action over the concluding stages". NOTHING said at all about what you would have to describe as excessive use of the whip, which was weilded like a cowboy on coke down the back straight.

It was clear rules were broken, perhaps smashed is a better description, yet the horse kept the race. An interesting side note, trainer Rita Burnett was directed to keep the horse on course for three hours for a post-race blood test. I wonder what the stewards line of thinking is.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Watching Dan's Inter highlights clip

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...nter-dominion/

It is almost embarrassing watching the whip flogging (I wonder whether they really believed it improved the horses OR they just got carried away in the moment)

Interesting to note it was not so pronounced in the trots
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Gallops, I know
    'What are the whip rules in racing? And does a horse feel pain when whipped?'

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/...02-p5eh6z.html
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Gallops, I know
    'What are the whip rules in racing? And does a horse feel pain when whipped?'

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/...02-p5eh6z.html
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    I think the following link to an ABC story sums it up pretty well. Horses can feel as much pain from whips as humans, study shows.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...e=abc_news_web
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Good story but why would it even be debated in this day and age. Whether you like or not, for a whole range of reasons, including making the sport accessible to a younger generation, the days of using a whip in races are numbered.

During winter I feed four retired pacers and have to walk through mud once I enter their paddock. The horses invariably pull the hay bale out of the wheelbarrow into the mud, despite my protests. I took a whip out to hit the bail for noise to prevent the hay from going into the mud.Soon as these horses, 3 of whom retired 7 plus years ago, wouldn’t come near me and reacted in fear. These are horses who are all over you usually once you enter their space. So not only do they recognise the whip but they remember years on. After a few days, possibly a week they learnt that they were not going to get hit to the point that they resumed their old behaviour re going for the hay. I got them to the point where I could scratch the leader with the whip.

So the effects of whip use are long lasting and they can remember by site what a whip does to them and it will initiate a fear response years later.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    A horse will twitch when a fly lands on it. Hummmmmmm

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    That’s true re fly and twitch. This wasn’t a twitch that I was describing. Community values are changing and the industry needs to change with it re whip, whether we like it or not.

+ Reply to Thread