I can remember in the early 90's when I first started going to Harold Park that there was a token effort to get claiming races going at Harold Park. It fizzled out pretty quickly.

Almost 20 years later, I can't believe there still isn't something on the go.

I reckon the first State that gets "it" will flourish and by getting "it" I mean having a condition book that caters for many horses not just a few. Could you imagine the number of horses on or near their mark in other states that would find their way into them and in a nearby barn providing further opportunities (employment) for the locals.

Straight Claimers per $$$, conditioned claimers for a variety of classes etc.
Not so much in the harness but in the gallops in the States, they have Starter Allowances for horses who've raced for a claiming amount or under in the last 6 - 12 months.

I know each State has a little something at present but no one that I can see has had a serious dig, gone all in so to speak.

Do you think it's because they try to keep the average meeting to 8 races ? Why can't that average be increased to 10 or 11 with a compliment of claiming races. I went in on quite a few horses when I was in the States, had a fun time owning the odd Claimer or three with a few mates.

Why not ?