Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Merlin was impressive but beaten when stepping out as a 3yo last night

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/...rSite&Arg=TRUE

I have been asking for a decade,"Why can't we have the wonderful split screen vision that the NZers have?"
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Merlin was impressive but beaten when stepping out as a 3yo last night

I have been asking for a decade,"Why can't we have the wonderful split screen vision that the NZers have?"
    It appeared like a trial for Merlin. Most of the trials had been washed out recently.

One of his main dangers in the Harness Millions next week week impressed again at Pukekohe workouts this morning in smart company. Sherlock.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The NZ Herald reports that international betting company Entain is set to take over the day-to-day operations of the New Zealand TAB in a 25-year deal.

https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/...ompany-entain/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Big Guns Are Back

Only 8 days to the second running of $1 million The Race by Grins and tonight's Group 2 Waikato Flying Mile proved a tasty entree. 7 of the 10 acceptors for The Race were in the field but any preconceived thoughts of giving the first four, Akuta, Old Town Road Copy That and the chronically under appreciated Self Assured proved that theory wrong.

These 4 looked, and proved, a few lengths better than the others.

From the car park draw of 8, Self Assured dropped back to near last and tracked Copy That to the sword at the top of the straight. His 1:52.0 time has only been bettered by Adore Me in 2015.

Natalie Rasmussen's drive was an absolute gem, take the time to watch the replay on the HRNZ website. A great Race to wet the appetite for next week.

Last edited by Messenger; 04-07-2023 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Link

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Self Assured and Akuta draw 2nd line in The Grins

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs...1965-race-8-dl
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    6.50 tonight AEST
    PP says Akuta is a certainty
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown

The Race by Grins - Preview

6.50 tonight AEST
    PP says Akuta is a certainty
    He must be better informed than Mark Purdon, who has his own assessment here:

https://allstarsracingstables.co.nz/...n-other-shoes/

There has been plenty of media to suggest, after barrier draws, that Copy That is near unbeatable. That may prove correct if not for the $1 million stakes breakdown which pretty much ensures they'll all be having a crack at the leader.

Self Assured is the freshest horse in the field, ignore the fact he locked wheels when sprinting hard two starts back. It was suggested last week he might need the run but, despite barrier 8, he brained the field in 1:52.0. And he won The Race from barrier 8 last year and he can do it again. He's no one-trick pony.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Congratulations to Copy That's connections
    I guess a Tk Rec should be exciting but it all seemed a bit easy

I am thinking the Trainers and Drivers almost do the best out of these races as I would imagine they would get their full slings unlike owners who have to come to an arrangement with the slot holder
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown

I am thinking the Trainers and Drivers almost do the best out of these races as I would imagine they would get their full slings unlike owners who have to come to an arrangement with the slot holder
    Tim Williams should hang his head in shame. A minute before the start we have Steve Telfer telling us BD Joe would go forward only to lob nowhere in the three wide line. (There may have been an excuse for the horse, it finished a mile back). Zac Butcher led easily with old Town Road, then gifts the lead and the race to Copy That without any pressure being applied.

Perhaps the near guaranteed $150,000 for second looked too good for a horse that has yet to win a Group race.

Self Assured was easily best of the rest, taking off when Greg Sugars dropped anchor on Bettor Eclipse which left Copy That unchallenged and pressure free. He was held up until half way around the turn but, by that stage, they were low flying out front but he still battled on well for 3rd.

David Butcher then took off seeking the death, an interesting move because Kango has loads of gate speed. His contribution ensured Akuta was stuck 3 wide without cover for the last 1200. From that point, Orange let Copy That quicken, running the last 3 quarters in 27.3, 27.7 and 28.3.

Had outsider No Matter Wat not broken, the first three places would have been filled by the first three horses along the pegs for the entire race. Symptomatic of the track and, unfortunately, driver tactics.

Or lack of them!

Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Well, yes, it is the slot holders that take all the risk and then they have to find a horse to fill the slot. Not so bad if you already own a good enough horse. A slot in The Race costs $75,000 per year for 3 years, a big commitment.

Slot holders must negotiate a fee with horse owners, usually a % of stake. I can't Imagine Copy That's slot holders would have negotiated any better deal than 50%, perhaps worse, but they would cover their cost with the win and bathe in the glory.

Interestingly, Self Assured was the only horse to front up from last year's race. His owner was never interested in the race or the concept until approached by radio station SENZ last year. After winning last year and third tonight the horse has earned $500,000 that didn't previously exist.

The danger is we will getting flooded with too many slot races for too few quality horses, which was apparent tonight compared to last year. On the flip side, it appeared to be a huge crowd in attendance at Cambridge tonight, many first time patrons there for a good party. If they come back again, that's a win.

+ Reply to Thread