Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bookmaker

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh

Bookmaker

Do many people in here use this betting company?
    And in particular does anyone use the unique facility they have where u can choose the odds of a horse by choosing how far u think it can win by?
    In other words if it's $10, and u think it will win by 1m u may get $11, the more distance the higher the odds...

Anyway I am alluding to the fact that they stopped betting on the Squaregaiters races not too long after starting the new concept.
    Anyone any clues as to why?
    No explanations were given officially that I was aware of, certainly no email notifications.
    I asked the phone operator who couldn't definitively answer why "management" stopped the trotters...
    Anyone got an opinion?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Here is a pure guess Ash, because it is not unheard of for trotters to gallop and lose a lot of ground, I imagine a bookmaker fearing corruption would realize it would not be impossible to fix a big return in a small field by having a few runners gallop. Of course they would never get away with it but that is my conspiracy theory LOL
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Ladbrokes offer the same product and they too canned the margin betting on trot races. I reckon it may be that they've been burned by a couple of shorties winning by a space, which can happen with the trotters more so than with the pacers IMO. Surely the bookies could just tighten their winning margin equations for trotting events and let the punter decide whether they still want to bet at that lesser price. It's just typical of the corporate bookie though these days......punters find what MAY be a slight edge, then the product disappears/changes, or you simply get banned, all without an explanation.
    (Ladbrokes also recently changed their 'field vs fav' prices on the dishlickers......to the detriment of the punter of course)

While reading over the above before posting, really makes me wonder whether I'm simply stupid for depositing $$ anywhere but betfair

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Like you said Brent, overall the bookies are just mathematicians who are looking at a certain % return - all they would have had to do is adjust the odds
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal reTHAIment will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Krahe
    Occupation
    consultant
    Horses
    Major Escape
    firstly any "exotic" betting offered by bookmakers will be under the odds rest assured of that....if they are offering prices for margin betting you can bet the % will be high.. as for field v fav I think they are betting about 110-112% in this which is ridiculous considering that most football matches (afl and nrl etc) are around 103%.. so these markets are very much so unders.. If you want to back against the fave you are much better laying it on betfair. Also bookmaker.com.au IS Ladbrokes now. so they offer the same thing.. one last thing if you win be prepared to be banned anyway by yet another pommy bookmaker ruining our industry

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    I've had at least 25 corporate bookies account restricted on me since I got back from the States last year. I buy a new prepaid dongle for every new account I open, I'm running out of family and I've got no friends

Bookmaker / Ladbrokes give you a longer leach than others. Bet365 is the worst. I've had accounts restricted with them after one night of wagering. If any of the corporates get a whiff you're consistently taking overs from them they'll give you the flick.

The NT Gov have a lot to answer for. The Fed Govt could do something about it, they have the power to do so. I believe there's some legislation going before the house early this year by one of the independants that would scare the shit out of the Poms hiding up North. They would have to accept wagers to a limit like proper Aussie bookies.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    It was a bit of an ego boost the first time I had an account restricted, but now it's becoming a joke. Was really enjoying the racing products Ladbrokes have until I had the fixed odds removed from harness racing. The account was some 2 months old and after doing the math I was $5,500 in front of which I'm not sure what % harness made up of that. My bets range from $300 to 1k and I bet on all 3 codes plus sports/multis. How the corporates are allowed to basically say 'well, we'll take your cash on dogs, gallops, sports etc but as you have shown a propensity to win on harness racing we'll take that away from u' belies belief. And to not even receive a call/email sticks it up u even more. At least Sportingbet had the decency to email the news that my account was restricted......after 7 bets!! (of which 5 were on harness). It may seem like good business practice to them but if they had a spreadsheet of my lifetime history on the punt they'd be falling over themselves wanting my business!
    So that's 2 now in 4 months after the first time some 8 yrs ago.........can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I were u Bob......25 times!!! When u say u buy a 'prepaid dongle' wouldn't your IP address still remain the same hence the corporates still know it's u betting?? (apologies if that's a silly question, I know zero about computers/IT)

aussiebreno
    How about we open a joint account. Your winning bets will be evened out by my losing bets.

Junior Member Foal reTHAIment will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Krahe
    Occupation
    consultant
    Horses
    Major Escape
    getting around a IP address is simple.. just use a VPN I use one for about $8 a month but mine is cos I live in Thailand and cant get onto various sites because of where I live...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    How about we open a joint account. Your winning bets will be evened out by my losing bets.
    Can also assist. Sons 'certainties' treat as scratchings

+ Reply to Thread