Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outcross Sires

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown

Outcross Sires

NZ, in particular, was facing a major issue with an oversupply of Bettor's Delight blood. The success of BD stock from Christian Cullen mares, and those of that stallion's sire In The Pocket was the catalyst for a plethora of stock bred on these crosses dominating yearling sales. Second banana, Art Major, also has a high percentage of stock from BD mares and vice-versa.

The premature deaths of Mach Three and his son Somebeachsomewhere exacerbates the situation.

Which drew my attention to Alabar's and Nevele R Stud's decision to pay big money for the superbly bred and performed Colonial stallion Vincent. A son of Art Major, sires in his dam's bloodlines include Safely Kept, Armbro Operative, Kentucky, Hilarious Way and Holly Sand. All of them have been champion sires and broodmare sires and Vincent traces to a German thoroughbred mare.

Given this, I am not surprised he is starting to accumulate good winners in all states of Australia and New Zealand. Even though I thought he would become a good outcrops for Bettor's Delight mares his breeding record shows he throws winners from mares by all sires.

Of 13 two and three year old winners he has left in Australia their dams are by 12 different sires!

In NZ, where the 2yo season is just getting started, he is listed as throwing 9 winners. Again, 9 different sires, although he has thrown multiple winners in both countries by Mach Three and Rock N Roll Heaven.

Only one by Bettor's Delight, though. Vimke B, NZ Sapling Stakes winner. I note his brother Vessem is having his first start at Addington on Friday night and his trial form suggests he is above average.

It will be fascinating to study the breeding of Vincent's winners in coming seasons, especially when owners of Bettor's Delight mares start breeding to him in bigger numbers.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A couple more Sherlocks would grab their attention
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    A couple more Sherlocks would grab their attention
    Vessem (Bettor's) looks pretty good, 2 from 2 after death-seating on a bog track to win the NZ Sapling Stakes. A qualifier at Rangiora today, Bronson, looks well above average. He is from a SBSW mare.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    After producing two new winners at Pinjarra today, a 2yo colt and a 3yo filly, I checked again to determine what line of mares Vincent is throwing winners from to see if a "golden" cross with the stallion is emerging. Nope, not yet.

His 35 2 and 3 year-old winners to date in Australia (NZ is another exercise) are from mares by 25 different sires. Quite amazing. Broodmare sires represented by multiple winners including Christian Cullen (4), Mach Three (3), Pacific Rocket (2), Rockn'roll Hanover (2), and Rockn'roll Heaven (2). If nothing else, this suggests you can do worse than rolling the dice on Vincent if you are uncertain which stallion you should serve your mare with.

+ Reply to Thread