Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
I think those two horses I mentioned done better collecting something out of $4k than collecting nothing out of $7k. As for also rans/outsiders if they are unfancied/cant do well in $4k races how are they going to do well in $7k races.

Also, whats wrong with accountants ����

This is a false argument, the races are ratings based and horses need to be nominated whether it's for 4.5k or 7k. If the rating keeps dropping they'll eventually end up in a competitive race irrespective of prizemoney. The product the industry sells to the betting public is the same no matter if the race is 4.5k or 7k or even 10k for that matter.

If there isn't some meaningful reforms Victoria will end up on the path to South Australia's 2k races. Winning doesn't even cover the month's training cost. Justifying 4.5k races as better for lower class is no solution in my opinion. It is akin to claiming that the minimum wage should not exist, that unskilled workers should be happy to get paid $5 an hour because it's better than nothing. Surely we can do better that this.