Threaded View

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Some of the current Handicapping + Grading is dumb. We all make mistakes. I make a lot and my thinking below might be another.

I understand that there are industry challenges due to factors such as foal numbers etc. however some aspects of the current system only appeal to a few.

Below are examples of the current policy's and issues regarding handicapping and grading;

Example1: short priced favs
    we want less short prices favs. However, the system consistently allows “out of class” horses to compete in lower grade races. The system is creating shorter priced favs. Here’s the really dumb part. The system then allows these “out of class” horses to enter a lower grade race and draw as good or better than the horses that they should be handicapped against. E.g. a C3 mare in a C1 only race with a concession driver drawing barrier 1. They can draw 1 whether it’s PBD or RBD.

Example2: 12 horse fields
    The 12-horse field strategy has been created to offset the problem of short priced favs. Reduce the # of short priced favs and we don’t need a 12 horse field. I’d like to know how much a 12 horse field actually helps betting when we have a short priced fav drawn favourably. I’m guessing it’s negligible.

Example3: increasing C0 and C1
    We have worrying and increasing trend of C0 and C1 racehorses. How hasn’t this already rang alarm bells?

I had a good conversation with Cameron Brown from HRA who is facilitating this handicapping review project. He's a lot more than his title of Finance Manager suggests however us, the industry, the customer and the stakeholders need to drive change for it to improve. Handicappers and Administrators created the current system and so I'm not confident that they have the answers.

I’m thinking about getting involved in the workshop in Melbourne to strongly represent the thoughts of owners, trainers and breeders. I know that many think that this and other things don’t get anywhere however I can promise that if I do go, it won’t be for the scones and cakes. And it won’t cost you anything.

I’d only do this if I could first get at least 30 owners, trainers and breeders to run through a workshop with me (before the event) as I want to represent you and your ideas and not just mine.

I doubt that merely forwarding a submission will do too much. I won’t be doing that. It hasn’t changed much in the past.
    I speak to many harness racing participants. A lot of them make sense and have valid ideas however aren’t great at expressing themselves. I’d like to help.

This could be a 2 or 3 hour workshop in the Penrith area. My email richard@alphastud.com.au or call me 0417 227 768.
    Last edited by alphastud; 03-03-2017 at 01:15 AM.