Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ASBA Breeding Panel Report- well worth the read

Hybrid View

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Rob, while I understand and appreciate the concept behind the Colonial Stallion Incentive scheme, but I sense that NSW Studs, being more than aware of this incentive, have priced eligible colonial stallions slightly higher full well knowing that the breeder will pay $500 less. Good initiative but may have run its course. A Vicbred/BOBS/BC style bonus scheme for colonial sires may promote this breeding more. Interested to hear others thoughts if there is anyone left on this forum!!

Also, I'm certainly not taking a shot at you re your stallion either as I have previously stated on here that I thought he was fantastically promoted. However I have also said on here that Ithought he was slightly overpriced but I'm pretty sure that was before the colonial stallion scheme was implemented so definately not accusing you of anything!!

Member Yearling Rob Nalder will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rob Nalder
    Occupation
    Director of IPB.
    Horses
    Conrod Straight, Titanium Driver, About

Red face

Gtrain,

The Blasters fee was set prior to the Colonial Stallion Incentive. I don't understand what you are saying about Stallion owners setting the Stud fee higher than it should be thinking they will get more mares. This would see the stallion owners ending up cutting there own throughts, as Breeders are always the best gage to judge if a stallion is going to get a chance at Stud carrier. The Incentive by the way is going to the Breeder not the Stallion owner. If you look at the criteria based around this Stallion incentive it is to help Breeders by going to our own home grown Grand Circuit performers. HRNSW has tried several different types of incentives to intice breeding numbers. For this endeavour I give them 10 out of 10. The nett result is that the few eligible Stallions this year all did better than the previous session in gaining mares to cover. I think the Blaster probably got the majority of mares under this scheme. His first session at Stud. Only because the breeders that went to him thought he represents what they are looking for at the Fee set for his 1st session. Having said that the Blaster covered 110 mares with 80 percent 42 Day positives so year one was a good result when he went off to stud late in the year. This season coming up ,we are looking at trying to crack the 150 mark in mare numbers. If we can then it will all be up to his off spring to deliver what we feel he will. Just imagine if what I hear is correct and Bettor's ends up going to $19,000. Just incredible to contemplate. Grant, you are in titled to your opinion and in no way am I upset by what you have expressed as we all need to have a view on what works best. Until we get fixed stallion numbers we will always do it hard in getting a spread of mares, thus effectively lowering costs to breed a foal.

All the best and I do look forward to following other people's thoughts and views a stack of issues,

+ Reply to Thread