Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New sires

Hybrid View

Member Yearling papagayo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sturla Pettersen
    To rephrase: there is no evidence to suggest it matters

Also don't overlook the random distribution. If the odds of producing a good horse from a mating between "poor sire" and "poor mare" (loosely defined) is 1 in 500 (I am just randomly picking a number to illustrate the point so don't get hung up on it), then 1 in every 500 will be good and the reason is just the variation involved, i.e. produce enough foals and *at some point* there will be good ones just by virtue of the number of foals. There is no further explanation to it and no more logic or explanation to be read from it

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by papagayo View Post
    To rephrase: there is no evidence to suggest it matters

Also don't overlook the random distribution. If the odds of producing a good horse from a mating between "poor sire" and "poor mare" (loosely defined) is 1 in 500 (I am just randomly picking a number to illustrate the point so don't get hung up on it), then 1 in every 500 will be good and the reason is just the variation involved, i.e. produce enough foals and *at some point* there will be good ones just by virtue of the number of foals. There is no further explanation to it and no more logic or explanation to be read from it
    There seems to be evidence in the post above this one Sturla

I am not sure what your random distribution paragraph is attempting to say other than

A poor sire x A poor mare = will produce a good horse 1/?00 (say 1/500)

Are you suggesting the odds are no different for :

A good sire x A good mare = A good sire x A poor mare?

I can understand that it is not essential but not irrelevant

ps From a personal/human perspective - I looked and ran like my mother ('s brothers)
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-08-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread