We have had threads like this before but I am starting a new one.

The following is taken from an email I have just sent :

Entertainment product and marketing have to be improved while turnover needs to go up.

Like your suggestion - we have to explore outside of the box.

Taking share off gallops and greyhounds is a huge task. Arresting the decline is no doubt a start

The gallops have a HUGE media advantage while the dogs have the advantage of cheap quick product

At present we seem to be concentrating on increasing turnover by increasing the number of races ($3,500) that we run

While I think we need to be innovative I fear that most innovations if successful will be replicated by our opposition.

A grass Inter is an interesting thought - one side of me likes the promotional potential while my 'small track' side wants us to promote our point of difference from the gallops. We have to have a superior point of difference that cannot be replicated by the opposition - superior in that it catches the publics hearts I think small track racing is one such point

Regardless of what the suggestion is - we need people continually coming up with IDEAS, ideas that can be individual to our sport

I don't know that attendance is as important as it once was (it is still VERY important mind you) but when I took the misses to St Arnaud yesterday I only stayed 3 races in fairness to her. Even though we parked on the fence (special in itself and like going to the local footy) so she had her 'stuff' to entertain her between races and the horses doing their preliminaries helped - between the second and third race we were there she said, "How long is it between races?". 40 mins can seem like an eternity. Ideally we need the races much closer together (but Sky determines this) or we need something happening on the track/the stage between races. An MC (and guest interviews) can keep people in a lounge entertained but at St Arnaud and hopefully most venues - you will not fit the whole crowd in the lounge. Pony trots are value but they are only a Saturday and Sunday afternoon or school holidays option.

We need to think of something entertaining that is horse related and logistically viable. I am not a fan of musical entertainment as the answer - if I wanted musical entertainment, I would go to a music venue. It is like 'pokies', while I understand that these dangerous machines help sporting clubs like St Arnaud, as far as attendance goes - you cannot pretend you are in the horse industry if that is what the people are turning up for

I have waffled on a bit but hopefully someone can come up with the Big Idea that can make a difference