Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Senior Member Stallion aussiebreno is just really nice aussiebreno is just really nice
    Real Name
    Brendan Bryce
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    On the back page of The Age today
    Peter Ryan makes the following point

When I fell in love with the sport, most races were bet upon and shown at the TAB, the weekend punter making his trip to the TAB before listening to the nags on the radio at home.
    Now, racing is broadcast constantly, bets can be laid on phones easily and the advertising is so thick and constant that a perfectly reasonable response from a parent is to shield their children from betting ...

No doubt the perks we enjoy nowadays are not all bad but his point about advertising is IMO a valid one
    What's his point mean though?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think he is suggesting that betting overkill could be making betting, even racing, something that parents tell their children is bad
    The Thin Green Line - Supporting the Rangers who protect the world's endangered animals against poachers

Senior Member Stallion aussiebreno is just really nice aussiebreno is just really nice
    Real Name
    Brendan Bryce
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I think he is suggesting that betting overkill could be making betting, even racing, something that parents tell their children is bad
    Well the children ain't listening.

https://www.savings.com.au/savings-a...ics-australia/

Fiona Guthries quote telling.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I guess we won't really know until the children of the last few years get older and if there was a decline in the number of punters as a % of population we still wouldn't know if overkill had anything to do with it
    The Thin Green Line - Supporting the Rangers who protect the world's endangered animals against poachers

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Only 2 heats per night for the pacers and trotters says something IMO
    I was thinking that $30kNZ ($28kAUS) was not much more than they race for at Menangle but not being a NSW follower I thought I would check - it seems as though NSW has caught the VIC bug with plenty of races of varying (lower) prizemoney

Mind you every Tuesday race is for $9,180 unlike in Vic where some of ours are for HALF this
    Last edited by Messenger; 1 Week Ago at 03:33 PM. Reason: Mind you

+ Reply to Thread