Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers' Colours or Not?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Don't think we need the velcro ! Drivers have their names on their pants and distinctive helmet art and colours. I don't mind them promoting the drivers but I don't like the idea of them having their own colours.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yes names on pants, helmet art and add posture and driving style and most experienced trots followers can identify at least the leading drivers, but it’s not enough to encourage new followers to the trots, those who don’t do the form, who don’t recognise a horse, who don’t know who or what the other hundreds of different colours on the track represent, in a crowded pub with trots races on the blue screen with no sound to think I’ll just have a tenner on the trots.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Gutwagon ����
    @gutwagon478
    Replying to
    @AdamTABSports

@Jodyjamracing
    and 3 others
    In harness racing the critics call drivers "cheats in seats".

Hey Rick your a genius, that’s brilliant, the best reason of all for drivers to wear their own unique colours. Integrity and the perception of integrity is the biggest obstacle stifling harness racings growth. What better way to hold drivers to account, every race, every time, every driver in their own unique identifiable colours that allows everyone, stewards, fellow participants and public alike, to readily identify them and scrutinise their every move in a race. No more “cheats on seats” hiding behind owner or trainer colours, if they cheat there they are, larger then life, in their own colours every time for everyone to see.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A bit of a stretch Dot, we have quite a number of drivers and we would not have drivers going around in the simplistic colours of the dogs
    It would be more like having to remember all the flags of the world
    I cannot see how it would help the scenario you painted in post 12
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Colours are a trainer's or owner's Business Brand

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    A bit of a stretch Dot, we have quite a number of drivers and we would not have drivers going around in the simplistic colours of the dogs
    A very impressive young Bendigo trainer (and primary school teacher) Kate Hargreaves, being interviewed by Paul Campbell makes a strong case for having their own "brand", in this interview on Twitter. Check it out:

https://twitter.com/vege07?lang=en
    Last edited by Adaptor; 07-12-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Seriously Kev you don’t think the stewards on their patch and the regular watchers and punters don’t know who each driver is regardless of the colours worn? Many drivers are already wearing only one set of colours as driver of only their own horses, and wouldn’t limiting the free lancers to their own colours reduce the number of “flags” to be remembered, making it easier for the stewards to do their job? And for punters and fans to learn in time who they are?

Would love to say we don’t have any corrupt conduct occurring on the track but we do, the convicted and disqualified Cramps, the Cobram Crew currently awaiting another court date, the recently charged Mr Walters ( and we do all know who was driving the winner there don’t we?). People did notice irregularities in the way certain drivers drove during the green light scandal, maybe all that would have been fully brought to light much sooner if those drivers were in the same colours every drive so more people noticed something wasn’t quite right.

You don’t think uniform driver colours would make it easier for the industrys form stewards to monitor drivers “form” as well as horse form in their reviews. Would have to be easier for law enforcement who aren’t so familiar with harness racing to review races where their “suspect” is always in the same colours as they build a brief of evidence, and for prosecutors to present that evidence to a non harness racing familiar judge or jury.

Driver colours are not saying all drivers are corrupt, they aren’t, it’s also giving drivers an opportunity to grow their own brand, and our brand, and it is proven that known drivers do increase turnover at a meeting, and at the same time providing an opportunity to bring those who maybe crossing the line to account sooner, and reduce temptation to others to cross the line.

Our future as an industry isn’t about what individuals want, or what happens in “our sister code” which isnt facing extinction as we are, it about doing what it takes to improve the actual and perceived integrity of our industry, along with increasing interest and investment.

Rick says trainers and owners would walk away if they couldn’t use their colours, well I’m an owner and a trainer, I wouldn’t walk away, I can say a few would bluff and bluster about walking away but I’d bet they wouldn’t do it.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    A very impressive young Bendigo trainer (and primary school teacher) Kate Hargreaves, being interviewed by Paul Campbell makes a strong case for having their own "brand", in this interview on Twitter. Check it out:

https://twitter.com/vege07?lang=en
    A passionate young lady Noel but where were her colours, her brand during the interview? An opportunity lost. A little research in countries that use driver colours would show Kate and other Australian trainers there are many ways still to promote your brand as a trainer that are either underutilised or not used at all in Australia. And listening to the sage advice of a couple of those in the twitter thread that precipitated the interview that are professionals in business and promotions wouldn’t go astray either.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Seriously Kev you don’t think the stewards on their patch and the regular watchers and punters don’t know who each driver is regardless of the colours worn?
    You are insulting even asking that question

So we the regulars don't need them!

If we are doing it for the occasional punter in the TAB (post 12) we would be keeping the colours simple (don't ask me how) so that he would remember 'that driver's colours' next time he feels the urge

We also seem to be assuming that there is sufficient pre-race coverage for him to spot his favourite colours or they are going to jump out at him when the odds are displayed (the graphics would greatly simplify them as they do now)
    It would seem to me that he is more likely to remember the horse or drivers name from a past experience and he is going to look up/spot that
    Then if we are talking about him following his bet in the race, now that he knows its number, wouldn't the set doggies colours be of more assistance - another can of worms

Under your scenario there will be owner/trainer/drivers as they are but the Stewart runners for example will be in more of a variety. I think them often being the same may actually help the stewards

Your help 'to build a brief of evidence' point is now completely getting off the point of why you want drivers' colours - to promote them
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-12-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    No Kev, the point about drivers colours has never been all about promoting “them” as some people seem intent on wanting to make it. The point has always been to utilise our most marketable commodity which are our drivers to better promote the entire industry. If that can also bring benefits to integrity then even better still. The big picture Kev, not the “all about me “ resistance to change mentality that continually bogs down the industry.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I really don't think new people coming to or watching our sport are the slightest bit interested in the drivers. It's all about the horses.
    Any attempt to bring new people to the sport should not alienate or anger the current people involved. I would seriously consider walking away if they went to drivers colours or colours to match the numbers like the dogs.
    Just recently 2 racing people have made the "cheats in seats" remark to me, which I always say is rubbish. So promoting the people perceived as cheats by outsiders could backfire .
    I don't have owners colours so I don't think the "It's all about me" tag applies.
    Anyway there is nothing I can do about it as the board doesn't seem to listen to participants, so I am done with this subject.
    Don't die wondering !

Closed Thread