Hoping to get some more opinions but I can respond these so far:

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
Members probably shouldn't be putting admin in the position of editing posts. A lot of immature posting and keyboard warrior posting is happening. We probably don't need/want these posters so if they complain when there posts are edited tough titties imo. On the occasion a respected poster needs a post edited I believe they will be mature enough to handle it. (I haven't actually taken notice of the editing but have seen things that should/could get edited and probably do after I've seen them)

For every poster that whinges about the editing there would be at least 5 who are right behind you Admin.

I don't think we should ban negative stuff. There have been quite a few threads that have run their course without modification (I could be wrong here because I don't really see what you do behind the scenes). I can see from your point of view as the guy doing all the work you may want this though.

Shut forum down......where else would I waste away my life????
Thanks, from the feedback here we won't ban negative stuff at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
Well im one of the culprits and in future i will tone down what i post as its not the way this forum should be heading.as for the best thing to do it could be a warning system. 1st time a warning, 2nd time a weeks ban from the forum, and 3rd time a 12 month ban.
Then if the person comes back and continues ban for life.

The ban should only be for threats or fowl language directed at a person
Yep we have received more than one phone call about you Ringman But yeah if you could just tone it down we would appreciate it. I've seen infraction systems implemented on forums I've frequented with mixed results.

The good is that it's fair, members get a couple of warnings with points deducted depending on the offence, and by the time they are banned it's usually pretty clear they deserve to be.

The bad is that 1) People still complain, 2) It does feel a little like disciplining a child 3) Fake accounts, which we could probably deal with but still more admin for us 4) We would still need to moderate fairly aggressively which is a lot of work (not just making edits, but literally trying to read every post isn't easy, especially when you already have a full time job).

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank Redemption View Post
Hello Admin,

Agree with your decision regarding locking the thread, it was obvious that things were going downhill fast !

Love Harnesslink with all the great stories and have found the forums very educational and informative for the most part.

Understand that for business reasons a few ads to help fund would be okay and not objectionable to that.

Would appreciate the chance to post questions to harness officials such as what were their thoughts on incidents in races such as the locked thread, to have questions answered in a sensible format. Give people the chance to raise concerns and have them addressed.

Keep up the good work !
That's definitely something we have been wanting to do on Harnesslink for a long time, and were hoping it would naturally happen here without us needing to solicit industry people. The tone of the forum as it is currently would definitely put quite a few people off though. One thing posters need to keep in mind is that for every member reading a post there are about 200 other unregistered people reading it, and forums are subject to a tribe mentality which can put people off.

Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
Admin,
You have the power and should use it in any way you see fit.
Ringman has a good idea there, set some rule as far as naming people goes and if broken give us the punishment
If posters complain well they came go else where, all the good people on here at the moment will continue to post.
Not necessarily as easy as it sounds (at least to me). For instance if somebody hears something unofficially that a driver is in trouble, then yeah this is probably hearsay (even if true) and shouldn't be talked about on a public forum. If then HRNSW publishes a story confirming it, then that can be posted. But then somebody comes along as says "this cheat ***** ***** etc then that's too far. That's just one example, but the problem is it's pretty hard to draw a line in the sand... though we need to be the ones to draw it and I'll look into some formal rules. If you have any feedback regarding this please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
Thing with banning posters is aliases.
We can detect this, not a perfect solution though. For example there are a couple of posters who I suspect are different people from their writing style, but they are using the same computer.

It seems you guys aren't to keen for a private forum or anything like that. And at this point I'm a bit reluctant to get into a infraction type system, though this might need to be implemented in the future.

From the experience he had on Harnesslink, requiring facebook/real names, I'm thinking the cleanest solution would be to require everybody to list their real names alongside their username. I know some people might object to that, but honestly if you have a big problem with that your probably not the type that people want on here in the first place.

If you do have a legitimate cause to not post your real name just PM me the reason and I could circumvent the requirement on your account. For example I work online, so my when somebody Google's my name I don't want them getting hundreds of harness racing forum results, but that wouldn't be a problem for most people.