Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Pizzuto suspended

triplev123
    G'day Flashing,

Said detail of course meaning that they would have to know what each piece of gear was and what its function is.
    I think the required detail aspect is not the issue. Rather, I think it's much more simple than all that.
    In the very same fashion as the vast majority of their Punting compatriots, I very much doubt the majority of Stewards would have any idea at all what a Murphy Blind was to begin with let alone what it is/was meant to do.
    In fact I doubt that most onlookers, officialdom, participants and public alike...have any idea at all of what various bits of gear added to or subtracted from a given horse's rigging does/is expected to do/is designed to do. That's why the whole Gear Form and gear change notifications are such folly. If a horse goes out in full blocks one week and it goes out in a wide open bridle the next, I guarentee you that virtually nobody notices, Stewards included.

Flashing Red
    I wish we could race with poles on both sides. But alas, rules are one full pole and a half (rein) pole only at the most.

triplev123

Two Poles, no waiting.

There's another stupid rule.
    Worse still is that nobody in officialdom here can tell you for sure & certain why we are not allowed to race with two poles. Some will run with the line about 'safety on small tracks' etc ...but that just doesn't hold water. The fact is that they race on just as many half milers up there in the States as we do down here...for example, NY State is absolutely chock FULL of them & there's never a problem.

Flashing Red
    It's safer a horse going in a straight line than bearing in or out, anyway.

It hasn't mattered as much now as our times and racing style have been noticeably slower than in the Northern Hemisphere. But, for example, Menangle is getting quicker by the week, it will become imperitive for horses to go straight. You loose too much ground and it becomes dangerous at the high speeds not to go straight. I never saw Yonkers, a tighter half mile than Harold Park, have any problems with horses wearing 2 poles. In fact about 1/2 of every field in every race raced with 2 poles. I believe Joe Muscara one time pointed out in a big race, maybe it was the Meadowlands Pace, every single starter wore 2 full poles.

I think if there was a forum (not an internet one) for people to discuss their views and work collaboratively with stewards... I feel that it will only be better for the industry overall. As it was recently pointed out to me, sometimes suggestion appear left field but instead of complaining, explaining will help you further your cause and allow those making the decision to be better informed when doing so.

triplev123
    I'd very much like to see such a Forum convened here in NSW and I'd sure like to participate in it.
    There are three or four 'rules' that immediately come to mind which are currently in play but that, IMO, need at the very least significant re-thinks and more likely require a holus bolus arse-hole-ing into the nearest garbage bin followed by an Ok, let's start again.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Welcome back barred one.

I thunk your stuff on the gear rules is interesting, however the simple fact is different trainers use different pieces of gear for differing uses.

Outside of this code but the most famous one I recall was a Norton Bit at the gallops, it is a pretty strong bit as gallops bits go most trainers used it as a hanging bit, it was listed as a hanging bit by all states.

Bart Cummings blew up said they were not a hanging bit although at the time marketed as one, he said it was used by his stable as a pulling bit and should be listed as such. He eventually won the battle with the bit in the gallops actually listed by name.

I have personally had many conversations with well respected Harness trainers who use gear for purposes it was not thought to be best for.

So I think your gear thoughts are a little too complex, all the authorities need to do is advertise its use as a change and monitor those changes at the track.

We can not expect to be spoon feed on every detail, next you will want an opinion by the officials this bloke can not drive or this bloke can not train.

We need to assume if gear is carried on a horse or removed from it there was a reason nothing more nothing less.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    I have personally had many conversations with well respected Harness trainers who use gear for purposes it was not thought to be best for.

So I think your gear thoughts are a little too complex, all the authorities need to do is advertise its use as a change and monitor those changes at the track.

We can not expect to be spoon feed on every detail, next you will want an opinion by the officials this bloke can not drive or this bloke can not train.

We need to assume if gear is carried on a horse or removed from it there was a reason nothing more nothing less.
    I agree. I think that gear on/off should be notifed, diligently, then leave it at that. I also use certain pieces of equipment in a less than conventional way. And I'm with Bart on this one. Can't see how a Norton stops hanging, but you're thankful you have it on with one that pulls!

+ Reply to Thread