Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First the Stands, next the Mobiles! Bring it on fellas.

triplev123

Thumbs up First the Stands, next the Mobiles! Bring it on fellas.

CONDITIONED STANDING START EVENTS AT PENRITH

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Stakeholders please note in January 2012 the PenrithHarness Racing Club have programmed Conditioned Standing Start races at each oftheir Tier 2 meetings.

Each race caters for horses assessed no better than C2that have not won more than $2,000 in their last three starts (catering forapprox. 75% of the horse population).

The handicap marks in these events are based on dollarswon in a horses’ last three race starts and not class, with the ranges asfollows; FT $0-$500, 10m $501- $1,000, 20m $1,001-$1,500, 30m $1,501-$2,000.

For example; a C2 that has won $250 in its last threestarts will be off the FT, while a C1 that has won $1,200 in its last threestarts will be off 20m.

The conditions of the race provide alternatives forconnections of out of form or out of luck horses with the chance to compete offthe front row, while better performed horses will start off marks; they alsoprovide an alternative for horses struggling in mobile start events that may beable to find a more forward position in running from behind the strands.

With the first event programmed for Thursday, 5 January2012 and nominations closing on Friday, 30 December, it is imperative that yourhorse is qualified from a Standing Start during the month of December.

----------

In saying the above (thread title) Standing Starts are for the Dinosaurs.
    I realise that they'll allow for ease of Handicapping etc. but geeze, why not focus on the mobile events with more race condition writing ala the Bulli @ Menangle meetings, Bankstown etc? They're not the be all end all either but they're a big step in the right direction.
    The earnings last X number of starts aspect to the above really appeals to me, that's how ALL of our bread & butter daily racing should be...but the Standing Start aspect of does not. I say that especially so from the point of view that the push is always on for quick wagering/turnover of races...and these are events that are probably going to take 3 mins+ each on average.
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-16-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to add comment under dotted line at the end

Member Gelding The Rainmaker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Eric Strong
    In saying the above (thread title) Standing Starts are for the Dinosaurs.
    I realise that they'll allow for ease of Handicapping etc. but geeze, why not focus on the mobile events with more race condition writing ala the Bulli @ Menangle meetings, Bankstown etc? They're not the be all end all either but they're a big step in the right direction.
    The earnings last X number of starts aspect to the above really appeals to me, that's how ALL of our bread & butter daily racing should be...but the Standing Start aspect of does not. I say that especially so from the point of view that the push is always on for quick wagering/turnover of races...and these are events that are probably going to take 3 mins+ each on average.

Many punters are hesitant to bet on standing start races as it, even in standing start Group 1 races at Melton or standing start Saturday night metro fixtures at Menangle. So who the hell is going to bet on lowly assessed, out of form horses around a track as tight as Penrith? The pools would be terrible, who thinks up these things?

triplev123
    You're right. Hadn't thought of the $ held aspect of it Eric. Probably should have. I was more interested in the Conditioned Racing aspect of it. I don't like Standing Starts. They're a Harness Racing anachronism. I have a bet from time to time and can't remember the last SS race where I put my $ down.
    In saying that, it is worth noting this is being run at Penrith and as far as Standing Starts go I am sure Don Clough will be over the moon that the clock has been turned back to the 1950's.
    If we could resurrect the NSW Sires Stakes program in all of its gorey glory, halve the Finals prizemoney available to 2yo & 3yo Fillies, bring back stallion book limits & ban the use of semen transport... I suspect he would think all his Christmas' had come at once.
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-17-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: starts has a 2 't's in it.

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    I love the idea they are a layers dream bring them back and the turnovers will be awful no doubt as most punters hate the ss races.

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Peter Cook, who is the secretary of the NZ Trainers and Drivers Association said this on Harnesslink:

Perhaps he should consider why turnovers in the South, where there is a mixture of standing and mobile starts, is almost always far higher than in the Auckland area where mobiles are the norm. Also if he was to research the facts, as have officials at Addington Raceway recently, he may discover that there is no discernible difference between turnovers on standing and mobile starts, at least at that venue.
    I don't like them either, but if the above is true maybe more punters should vote with their wallets.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I don't like them either, but if the above is true maybe more punters should vote with their wallets.
    Absolutely guarantee these standing starts will have the lowest turnover of the meeting.

Almost every time you see a standing start , half the field is usually side on or gallop away when the strands are released . They are nothing more than a "dog's breakfast" and should be assigned to harness racing history. They have no place these days. I would not invest 10 cents on any standing start.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    I love the idea they are a layers dream bring them back and the turnovers will be awful no doubt as most punters hate the ss races.
    I agree. Some are absolute camels from the SS but will be sent out short because of strong mobile form; others love the SS but walk off the mobile arm and will be sent out overs because of average mobile form. I enjoy the mix of SS and MS races but if punters vote with their wallets and SS turnover is as low as people are saying then I guess they will be gone.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Half the problem in standing starts lies with the trainers/drivers as I have stated before in this forum, most of them haven't got the skill to get horses away from stands. Trainers don't spend the time teaching horses to leave the wire quick.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Half the problem in standing starts lies with the trainers/drivers as I have stated before in this forum, most of them haven't got the skill to get horses away from stands. Trainers don't spend the time teaching horses to leave the wire quick.
    [VVV] Have to agree with that Don C. I had a crack at it myself once and it's not as easy as it looks. Your stands are a lot different to ours though. You guys seem to walk up and then go whereas over here they seem to want them all standing like they've been cast in bronze before the tapes release. I still don't like stands but your point is well made.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    I guess I am bit old school with stands in that I love seeing a field ping off the mark and I love handicap races. I have had my share of sloppy beginners but its was at the workouts/trials and on the training track that they were ironed out not left to chance on race day like so many seem to. My old boss when I was a boy, would give them plenty of practice. As a young impatient lad I would moan to myself about all the mucking around he would do but certainly saw the rewards that were gained when it became second nature. I am happy to say that all my racehorses were good beginners.

+ Reply to Thread