+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Australia

Senior Member Colt Jasper will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    No redraw, they published the field and then did the draw this morning. I was a little confused and thought there may have been a stuff up but this wasn’t the case (see last years Quokka).

I was a little too fast out from the strands. There’s a reason why I am still a weanling.

aussiebreno
    The issue is for all intents and purposes it looked like final field with final barriers on harness.org. I think they are best off not publishing it via that medium and if they want the final field announced pre-draw doing a media release or similar.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    WA Derby - the draw has made it a fascinating race. Mister Smartee in 6, Never Ending in 7, Lusaka in four etc. Very rare to have a filly, Turn The Page, in it as well. I think the last filly to win the Derby was Via Vista in the 80’s, from memory.
    Via Vista it was, trained by Bill Duffy. 1981. From the draw, if Turn The Page lobs outside the leader she has a big chance. She should have won the Oaks on protest.

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    You don’t hear Via Vista mentioned much over here as far as harness racing history goes but I can remember she dominated during her 3 year old year especially.

Has there been any other fillies to win a Derby since then ie any Derby?

It could seem like a just reward if Turn The Page won the Derby. The Oaks situation was just the latest episode of whip rule chaos in Australian racing ie both codes. I wonder if a disqualification rule would work, however I suspect that would end in a lengthy legal process and nobody would want that.Personally I would like to see the whip used in only a tapping motion and trainers owners should have an option of not taking a whip out in a race.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    You don’t hear Via Vista mentioned much over here as far as harness racing history goes but I can remember she dominated during her 3 year old year especially.

Has there been any other fillies to win a Derby since then ie any Derby?

It could seem like a just reward if Turn The Page won the Derby. The Oaks situation was just the latest episode of whip rule chaos in Australian racing ie both codes. I wonder if a disqualification rule would work, however I suspect that would end in a lengthy legal process and nobody would want that.Personally I would like to see the whip used in only a tapping motion and trainers owners should have an option of not taking a whip out in a race.
    Pink Galahs won a Vic Trot Derby off the top of my head.

Tailamade Lombo won an Aust Pacers Derby at Harold Park (with Under Cover Lover coming 3rd) and was 2nd in the NSW Derby in same year.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Pink Galahs won a Vic Trot Derby off the top of my head.

Tailamade Lombo won an Aust Pacers Derby at Harold Park (with Under Cover Lover coming 3rd) and was 2nd in the NSW Derby in same year.
    The most recent filly to win a Derby is Amazing Dream in the Northern Derby in Auckland, where she bloused Copy That. That was March 2020. Interestingly, she was owned by Jean Feiss, who originally purchased Turn The Page at the NZ Weanling Sale in 2020. I did have photos of that filly as a foal and I recall her having a very deep neck and a thick backside. She looked like a broodmare as a foal but struck me as one that might take a bit of time to mature. Turns out I was right. Tough as an overcooked mutton chop, she is still learning but building on her reputation every start.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trev, how was it that Jean let her go without ever racing her.
    Would it have been the fact that she was only going to be a 3yo and by the time she qualified there were already 4 siblings that had raced without setting the world on fire
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Trev, how was it that Jean let her go without ever racing her.
    Would it have been the fact that she was only going to be a 3yo and by the time she qualified there were already 4 siblings that had raced without setting the world on fire
    The other foals weren't much chop, although the previous filly won a weak Sires Stake heat for Tony Herlihy. TTP didn't demonstrate a great attitude when broken in and her tubby frame gave the impression she would need a lot more time. Which proved true. I guess, with half a dozen more yearlings to break in Jean had to move her on.

Look at her now and you see a powerfully built and striking filly. Looks tough, is tough. When you buy half a dozen yearlings every year you just can't give them too much time. Mind you, Jean is truly rapt with the filly now because she is by her old champ Vincent. Her eye for good unbroken youngsters hasn't diminished.

I am noticing a lot of the better Vincent fillies display the same breeding traits. While their first and, sometimes, second dams may not have left much you tend to find some really good horses further back in their pedigree. I guess that is the lot of young, unproven Colonial stallions. They don't attract too many stand-up mares in their initial crop and have to prove themselves the hard way, Many fail because of this, Vincent appears to be succeeding. 48 individual 2 and 3yo winners in Australia this year suggests he will make the grade. So far, he is just lacking a group 1 winner. Maybe the filly can change that.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Trevor - I knew you would have valuable insights on the matter
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Daniel Walsh
    Occupation
    Social worker
    Let’s hope so. Amazing Dream has won 1.96 million over the course of her career, that is quite remarkable to say the least. Interesting that she has got Lumber Dream on her mares side going back several generations too. From memory Preux Chevalier ran third in the WA Derby at his fifth start, or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread