It's pretty simple really, as shown by the NZ race. First order of business is selling the slots. That should happen easily. Then, slot holders go searching for their preferred horse and seek to cut a deal with the owners. In NZ roughly half the slot holders had their own horses run but other slot holders negotiated with owners. It was no surprise the winner, Self Assured, was the first slot filled.

Without knowing details of the deal between the owner and the slot holder I imagine a 50/50 split would be a fair deal. For The Race that would amount to earnings of $200K each before trainer and driver percentages. That, to me, looks a pretty attractive deal for the owner for a single race.

The Eureka is not as attractive as HRA has imposed a "miners tax" to partially fund the race. However, if I was lucky enough to own a crack 3 or 4 year old pacer over the next three or four years I'd be dusting off the welcome mat should a slot holder come calling. The slot holder takes the risks, the owners reap the rewards.