Quote Originally Posted by Old Frank View Post
Amen Harvey!

I was once involved with a stable that had 3 runners in a Ladyship Mile (2 runners and an emergency) similar to the level you talk about with Arctic Fire so hence my point earlier, outside of 6 weeks racing against their own sex in the lead-up to get picked for the Ladyship, they have to race for 46 weeks against the boys and they would win their odd race, but week in, week out, they were going super but just found it too tough.

Actually in those years also, their wasn't as many female lead-up races either making it tougher for them!

If you don't cycle these mares correctly in all grades, every week, you are not building a future breeding cycle, anyone that say's different just doesn't get it.

I looked at the Trotguide 2 weeks back and do you know, taking out the feature mares lead-up, plus the trotters race left 6 races and out of those approx. 60 horses, only 6 were mares! Disgraceful.

This is why the fillies (besides the one or two leading lots which are fundamentally brought to try and acheive Futrity success), get the widest of berths at the sales as there is no attraction/potential avenue for success for them.

Two races at Menangle each week - M0-M3 and M3+ for mares only. I stand by it, it should be a must.

Why can Randwick, Rosehill, whatever track hosts metro gallops each week afford a mares only race, is it so hard to programme and support? I think not.
Some M0 only mares are pretty important too imo.