Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No excuses for sushi this time.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

No excuses for sushi this time.

The emerging champ Sushi has no excuses in The Chariots this time after getting a clean bill of health http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=97181

Three starts back he got nabbed by Highview Tommy, next was outgunned by Decorated Jasper who sat in the death and last week he rolled off the paint and let Hands Christian out.

I reckon Hands Christian has got Sushis measure and if that isn't enough to contend with, Excel Stride comes off a career best 1.51.5 but isn't drawn to advantage but if he gets in close will blouse them all.

So for me, this is the race thats gonna define Sushi as a pretender or the real deal.

Hands Christian first, Sushi 2nd and Excel Stride 3rd.
    Last edited by broncobrad; 04-27-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: suitably scolded by aussieb...my bad

aussiebreno
    Highview Tommy race...so what, Sushi run of the race by a mile.

Decorated Jasper...first up give him a break

Hands Christian... disapointing

Time to roll tommorow night, but the race isn't 'THe Paleface' its the Chariots of Fire. Sushi will be showing any doubters, didnt know any still existed, that he is the next coming. Well thats what I hope happens anyway, will be a cracking race on a cracking night of racing.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Hey Brendan

Thought their might be more chatter about Saturday night, but seems there are only a few who wish to declare their allegiances, shame really. Have amended the offending typo above for your edification, thanks for pointing it out.

On a night featuring three group ones and all I can hear are crickets out there...unreal.

An absolute ripsnorter of a Derby, the next bright star(?) Sushi up against a couple of extra smart ponies, Smoken Up off the pole, throw in the Carousel and the Rod Fitzpatrick Memorial, it is just an outstanding night. I am filthy because I have to attend a farewell party and won't see any of it!!

Getting back to the point you make, well I am one of those doubters still. His run in the Ballarat Cup was sensational and we have all had our say on that. IMO he was entitled to show more fight when first up and I have already raised that. Last time he has hung out under pressure and could not hold out the NZer. I am not calling them flops, I just think he has got a few chinks in his armour and Sat night he has run out of excuses if he gets rolled. I will be on Hands Christian, he handled the track and did everything right last week and I reckon he'll have more improvement in him. (I will keep a healthy slice of humble pie close at hand if I need to swallow some).

Cheers

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Hey Brendan

Thought their might be more chatter about Saturday night, but seems there are only a few who wish to declare their allegiances, shame really. Have amended the offending typo above for your edification, thanks for pointing it out.

On a night featuring three group ones and all I can hear are crickets out there...unreal.

An absolute ripsnorter of a Derby, the next bright star(?) Sushi up against a couple of extra smart ponies, Smoken Up off the pole, throw in the Carousel and the Rod Fitzpatrick Memorial, it is just an outstanding night. I am filthy because I have to attend a farewell party and won't see any of it!!

Getting back to the point you make, well I am one of those doubters still. His run in the Ballarat Cup was sensational and we have all had our say on that. IMO he was entitled to show more fight when first up and I have already raised that. Last time he has hung out under pressure and could not hold out the NZer. I am not calling them flops, I just think he has got a few chinks in his armour and Sat night he has run out of excuses if he gets rolled. I will be on Hands Christian, he handled the track and did everything right last week and I reckon he'll have more improvement in him. (I will keep a healthy slice of humble pie close at hand if I need to swallow some).

Cheers
    Smoken Up out to $2 fixed odds. There's a bet I'll be putting on tommorow.
    Yeah, last week the Sush should have won, has to win this week. Had a vets exam midweek but all a-ok.

Member Yearling M.John will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Ohokas Bondy is the smokey in the chariots ,, drawn well, class animal.

Scandalman for mine in derby ,, only heat last week were it was run true ,, true derby horse.

Smoken up hard to beat in the mile however Can Return Fire will get the gun run behind him and is the one to look out for.

Dickies Bromac at his best will go close in carousel now he's got a run. Class horse just seems Ian Guernys horses haven't travelled however don't be surprised to see Dickies Bromac run a nice race.

Tara Royale well graded in the mares race and don't forget old Fox Valley Appeal who might pay for your night after the first.

Good luck everyone, should be a top night.
    Last edited by M.John; 04-28-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Brad

I think he might have a few less chinks in his armour if they raced him a little more, i understand they are trying to look after him but there's nothing better than full on race fitness. I mean they don't have to head to Melton every wkend and give him a gut busta they should try a find a C6 and better somewhere and give him a couple of hit out's.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Went and watched all the fun tonight, not much of that for the Sushi camp, there is something not right with the horse, I hope for their sakes it's not serious.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Yeah Dan, he gave in too meekly last night to be true, he is a classy horse no doubt about it. Hope they get him sorted out.

Classy calling again Fred. Top drawer stuff. Don't think I will ever get sick of watching old Smoken Up do what he does best, holding them all out in a streetfight.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Smoken Up out to $2 fixed odds. There's a bet I'll be putting on tommorow.
    Captain Joy sure made me nervous, great run by him, but the $2 was a charity. $1.70 earlier in the week and back to that price race night.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Son persuaded me to go on another drive at the weekend. Although I made it hard for him to do so, the temptation of Smoken Up, Menangle and fantastic fields made it not such a difficult thing for him to do. And he promised to help out with all the jobs around home when we got back.

Took the opportunity to try this GPS navigation software that came with me phone. My previous experience with it was to turn it on and see a little arrow on a map showing me where I was. Then go for a walk up the back and have another look and sure enough the arrow had moved to where I now stood. "How usefuls that!" was my initial reaction. But no, it does much more than that. We live about 60k from Melbourne and can hardly get a signal on the mobile but this thing can take you all the way to Sydney.

Son not so impressed. Youngsters take these things for granted. I explained on the way how navigation used to be done by unfolding a huge piece of paper with lines all over it called a map that you could never fold back up properly and it ended up screwed up in the glovebox. "Why didn't you just go buy a mobile phone dad?" was his reaction.

The software comes complete with this 'robotic' female voice. We named her Stephanie (after the dating ad that keeps popping up when visiting harnesslink).

We laughed at the way she said the names of towns and roads. JIS-BORN (Gisborne) and LANCY-FIELD (Lancefield). We even took diversions to make her say Yackandandah and Wagga Wagga. And just when you thought she'd gone to sleep she jumped in with 'vital information' scaring the clappers out of you. When you tried to trick her she started with the "At the first opportunity make a U turn" stuff with no panic at all in her voice. She even does it when you forget to turn her off and walk into a service staion with your phone in your pocket to pay for petrol. And she interrupts phone conversations with 'information' as we found out yesterday on the way home during a phone call from wife enquiring as to our progress. "Who's that I can hear talking?" wife asked. "Thats just Stephanie mum" son replied. "She reckons we'll be home about 7".

We're going to suggest to the software maker a "Bruce the Aussie" add-on. He could tell you the history of things you drive by along the way eg; The Dog on the Tuckerbox. And he could recount his experiences of the nights he spent in towns you pass. And the stuff he might say instead of "Make a u-turn".....

Stephanie got us there in time for a shower, watch Black Caviar on telly and head to the track.

Great racing Saturday night. Always happens when the best of the best are competing I guess.

Smoken Up didn't let us down (yet again). He's the absolute epitomy of what a champion is. We're 4 from 4 on our travels to watch him now. An SA cup, 2 Miracle Miles and the weekends win. Way too good him! Prompted son to say "I told you we should have driven to Perth for the Inter final dad".

We met some more people we can now put faces to names to and a very special thanks to Fred Hastings who kindly took the time to come and meet us and have a chat after the last.

We couldn't hear much of the call of the Len Smith as we were trying to urge on Smoken Up. We tried to listen via Trots TV on the phone on way home but it didn't work too well (probably due to Stephanie not wanting anyone else getting attention). The first thing son did when he got home was replay his recording of race so he could listen to the call. Great job yet again Fred!

And speaking of calling, son called them all again on the way home. Even invented a game where I could pick a horse from the racebook as if the race hadn't happened yet and he'd call the race. "You can have $5 on them dad. If you win thats more jobs I help you with when we get home". When the Len Smith came around I wasn't allowed to pick Smoken Up though. Amazing how many times I kicked 10m's clear close to the finish only to be beaten in a photo. When we finally made it home he said "How about I forget about the $400 you owe me and you forget about the jobs I promised to help you with".

Two very weary travellers hit the sack early last night.

Well I tried to anyway. I was continually woken by wife with, "Now tell me all about this Stephanie...."

+ Reply to Thread