Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flat Earth Society strikes again!

Hybrid View

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    So is the solution to all of this as simple as the following:

1. HRNSW work with Penrith Club and state government to upgrade some facilities such as tie up stalls and track surface to make it the premier half mile track in NSW. Program in 8-12 metro meetings per year + continue with current schedule of 1 mid week night meeting per week. maybe some of the metro meetings could be on Sunday afternoon to draw in families etc. who wouldn't go on a week night. (medium cost, hopefully supported by govt funding)

2. Demolish Bankstown and find a way to put a 1000m track on the same site with new facilities or sell Bankstown and relocate to some where else in a suitable metro location and build a 1000m track. Give this venue 8-12 metro meetings per year as well and have a consistent mid week night program like Penrith. I would think it makes sense to re-develop Bankstown, given there is an established network of trainers there and it's a reasonably accessible location. (high cost, but could be achieved through various ways if the right people manage it)

3. Continue to develop Menangle as the states leading metropolitan harness racing venue and expand the facilities to develop the venue as an entertainment complex also (whether it be functions or other types of entertainment can be worked out). Make sure Newcastle also receives ongoing support to keep its facilities and track to a high standard. (NSWHRC has plenty so no issue with funding here, not sure of newcastles financial position but wouldn't expect this require huge investment as track is in pretty good shape already)

4. Work closely with the country clubs to develop a really strong country cups program that ties in well with local events in that community (i.e. Tamworth Cup around CMF time etc). This is a great way recruit new participants in regional areas and inject great theatre and awareness into regional areas that have existing harness communities. ( low cost)

5. HRNSW develop a well credentialed marketing team that is responsible for marketing on behalf of all tracks. Each of the tracks contribute to a promotional fund based on the number of feature meetings etc. they have and the scale of the meetings (Menangle would obviously contribute the most and so on from there). With this model you get economic rationalisation and improved expertise in a critical area. Economic rationalisation has to happen, better it happen in support areas rather than to the industry participants themselves. (should actually generate cost savings which can be redistributed back into greater marketing spend)

6. HRA to chair a consultative committee of representatives from each state to develop a feature race calendar that maximises the opportunity for Australian Harness racing to deliver a product that has the best horses racing in the most competitive feature races that draws great crowds and increased wagering revenue. To ensure that we don't have clashing of 2yo and 3yo features races in different states at the same time. (minimal cost)

I make no apology for the simplicity of my solution, it can be that easy if people put aside their personal motivations and focus on the greater good of harness racing to get stuff done. If I have learnt one thing in my life it's that society does a great job of letting complication, duplication and political interruption get in the way of simply good, well executed solutions.

Action drives evolution and evolution is what we need.
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-06-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: More context provided

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Mitch,
    not sure I agree with all of those points and some are supposedly in place, but it's most definitely the type of thinking we need.

Action drives evolution and evolution is what we need. Love that tag Mitch, I'm certain your post will create plenty of discussion!!!

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    If I have learnt one thing in my life it's that society does a great job of letting complication, duplication and political interruption get in the way of simply good, well executed solutions.
    [VVV] Ain't that the truth. Testify Brother Mitch!
    Re: (6) Couldn't agree more. In fact I'd like to see them take it even further and develop a Grand Circuit of sorts for both 2yos & 3yos. That would really be something.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So is the solution to all of this as simple as the following:

1. HRNSW work with Penrith Club and state government to upgrade some facilities such as tie up stalls and track surface to make it the premier half mile track in NSW. Program in 8-12 metro meetings per year + continue with current schedule of 1 mid week night meeting per week. maybe some of the metro meetings could be on Sunday afternoon to draw in families etc. who wouldn't go on a week night. (medium cost, hopefully supported by govt funding)

2. Demolish Bankstown and find a way to put a 1000m track on the same site with new facilities or sell Bankstown and relocate to some where else in a suitable metro location and build a 1000m track. Give this venue 8-12 metro meetings per year as well and have a consistent mid week night program like Penrith. I would think it makes sense to re-develop Bankstown, given there is an established network of trainers there and it's a reasonably accessible location. (high cost, but could be achieved through various ways if the right people manage it)

3. Continue to develop Menangle as the states leading metropolitan harness racing venue and expand the facilities to develop the venue as an entertainment complex also (whether it be functions or other types of entertainment can be worked out). Make sure Newcastle also receives ongoing support to keep its facilities and track to a high standard. (NSWHRC has plenty so no issue with funding here, not sure of newcastles financial position but wouldn't expect this require huge investment as track is in pretty good shape already)

4. Work closely with the country clubs to develop a really strong country cups program that ties in well with local events in that community (i.e. Tamworth Cup around CMF time etc). This is a great way recruit new participants in regional areas and inject great theatre and awareness into regional areas that have existing harness communities. ( low cost)

5. HRNSW develop a well credentialed marketing team that is responsible for marketing on behalf of all tracks. Each of the tracks contribute to a promotional fund based on the number of feature meetings etc. they have and the scale of the meetings (Menangle would obviously contribute the most and so on from there). With this model you get economic rationalisation and improved expertise in a critical area. Economic rationalisation has to happen, better it happen in support areas rather than to the industry participants themselves. (should actually generate cost savings which can be redistributed back into greater marketing spend)

6. HRA to chair a consultative committee of representatives from each state to develop a feature race calendar that maximises the opportunity for Australian Harness racing to deliver a product that has the best horses racing in the most competitive feature races that draws great crowds and increased wagering revenue. To ensure that we don't have clashing of 2yo and 3yo features races in different states at the same time. (minimal cost)

I make no apology for the simplicity of my solution, it can be that easy if people put aside their personal motivations and focus on the greater good of harness racing to get stuff done. If I have learnt one thing in my life it's that society does a great job of letting complication, duplication and political interruption get in the way of simply good, well executed solutions.

Action drives evolution and evolution is what we need.
    Well that saves me a lot of time and effort.
    A+ for clarity,thought and presentation.Many points for discussion and further thought.
    One major problem however.Too much of what is put forward would (will)be seen by incumbent office holders as an attack on their abilities and performance,and therefore it will be,ignored,belittled and held to ridicule.
    Can we see comments like this leading to further discussion/s,forward planning and action?
    I thought so.......

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    One major problem however.Too much of what is put forward would (will)be seen by incumbent office holders as an attack on their abilities and performance,and therefore it will be,ignored,belittled and held to ridicule.
    [VVV] Quite true unfortunately. Either that or such ideas are sidelined for a period of time which is just long enough for the majority of people to forget who it was that had initially come up with them, then...when the coast is clear they are dragged out, dusted off & re-badged as having been the intelectual property of the abovementioned incumbents.
    If I had scored just a single $1.00 for every time I've seen someone at an Industry meeting or an Internet Forum/Discussion Group or similar come up with a good idea which another or others from within the ranks of administration are ultimately awarded bouquets then I'd be typing this from my house in Monaco, next door to Mick Doohan.

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minuteman View Post
    Well that saves me a lot of time and effort.
    A+ for clarity,thought and presentation.Many points for discussion and further thought.
    Can we see comments like this leading to further discussion/s,forward planning and action?
    I thought so.......
    Ron,

Of course they will... Most (not all) of the incumbent are incompetent or limited at best, hence the reason the industry is in the position it is today. Anyway let's not harp on the negatives that ain't going to fix anything.

Dot,

Then if that's the case with the land being leased and the changing community demography, I think HRNSW and the Bankstown board has to find a way to relocate the club to new premises otherwise the slow death will continue at the detriment of the broader NSW Industry. This will require significant investment and may potentially not happen straight away. Rationalizing back to 2 tracks in metro Sydney may not be a bad thing in the short term whilst the industry rebuilds.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Not sure I agree with you there Mitch. Obviously the improvements cant be relocated. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the dining area or lounge area in the grandstand but as Jamie pointed out there is room for improvement in the external facilities and of course consumables such as salt, pepper and napkins can be purchased. Track maintance could also be improved but the track is servicable -despite the lack of a water truck half the night Washakie didn't go too bad in the Treur.

On those nights we can utilise the grandstand facilites to advantage still but who wants to go to a sit down meal at any track on a monday afternoon. If Bankstown folds then obviously their dates will be transferred elsewhere , but unless it can be proven that those dates would generate more turnover elsewhere already what would be gained by moving them whilst Bankstown is still going.

Don't get me wrong I don't think that Bankstown is the future of harness racing in Sydney but with a bit of a makeover and support there would still be a few dances left in the old girl.

Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Dan,

I don't agree with all of them either but that's point I am trying to make. We are never going to get total agreement but sometimes I think people procrastinate in search of agreement instead of doing stuff to make things happen.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Mitch

I'm not sure if they can sell Bankstown and relocate because i don't think the Bankstown H.R.C own's the land ( i could be wrong) and if they only want one other track in Sydney beside's Menangle i'd be leaning towards your idea of doing what they can to extend Penrith's track and fixing up there facilities.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Mitch

I'm not sure if they can sell Bankstown and relocate because i don't think the Bankstown H.R.C own's the land ( i could be wrong) and if they only want one other track in Sydney beside's Menangle i'd be leaning towards your idea of doing what they can to extend Penrith's track and fixing up there facilities.
    I am sure Sam mentioned that two million is to be spent on stabling and facilities at Penrith, no mention was made of the track.

+ Reply to Thread