Unknown
    Occupation
    Punter

BETFAIR coverage starts tomorrow

on NZ harness racing, how good is that!

Junior Member Weanling mickeyh will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Marvin Houston
    Very! Just hope at least sky2 starts showing more of it.

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Thats's great news. I just got this in my inbox:

From Monday 24 January 2011, Betfair punters will be able to access harness markets across New Zealand, including the Kapiti Coast and NZ Metropolitan Trotting Club. Events which will be televised by Sky 2.

This means, come end of March when it's time for another classic Inter Dominion showdown, you will be able to back and lay on the event.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact our Helpdesk on 1300 BETFAIR (1300 238 324) or via email ausinfo (AT) betfair.com

The Betfair Team.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Betfair could be the best thing to happen to NZ betting ever. A welcome addtition to Harness Racing.

Member Yearling Shakamaker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    While Betfair refuse to make any payments to NZ Harness Racing, you will continue to see the decline of Harness Racing in New Zealand
    How can Betfair be good for NZ Harness Racing when they don't make any payment to Clubs or Controlling Bodies or any contributions to stakes?
    Betfair will simply mean further that turnovers continue to drop with the NZ TAB and because the NZ TAB is the only wagering services provider in NZ that provides a return to the Industry, stakemoney will fall in line with the reduction in TAB turnover.
    So how can this be good for owners, trainers, drivers and breeders a number of whose lives are heavily dependent on the health of the Harness Racing Industry?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Shakamaker
    Well said, the people who put in all the hard work from breeding to trainning and owners outlaying money to buy yearlings/horses only for Betfair to come along and profit without putting anything back in which in return means less prize money in the long run. To sum it up plan and simple Betfair are thieves. I hope n.s.w win there court case and teach these arrogant pricks a lesson.

Real Name
    Marvin Houston
    Why aren't they paying a product fee? I don't believe in the NSW version that bookies/exchanges should pay their fees based on turnover but either a decent product fee or a fee on gross profit would be appropriate I would have thought. Not sure how they can sign an MOU with NZRB and pay absolutely nothing for the privilige.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    As far as i'm aware the NSW tab pay on turnover so i think it's only fair for others to follow suit. That then means everyone is on a level playing field. Now Betfair don't want to do this but what gives them the right to dictate how we sell our product i mean we don't tell them how to put there odds on horses do we. If you were a fruit and veg shop you dont dictate to the grower how much he or she can put on there product do you.

Real Name
    Marvin Houston
    Completely different models. How can you compare a corporate bookmaker or betting exchange to a tote? A tote relies on takeout percentages to make their money so charging them on turnover is completely different to charging an exchange or corporate bookie. Btw, I'm no fan of corporate bookies so am not sticking up for them - just looking at this objectively. A corporate could turn over for example $1M on a Saturday but actually make a loss. You and NSW say that they should be taxed on the $1M. Certainly not a level playing field given that the tote can not lose. Can't think of anywhere else in life that you can be taxed for making a loss.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyh View Post
    Completely different models. How can you compare a corporate bookmaker or betting exchange to a tote? A tote relies on takeout percentages to make their money so charging them on turnover is completely different to charging an exchange or corporate bookie. Btw, I'm no fan of corporate bookies so am not sticking up for them - just looking at this objectively. A corporate could turn over for example $1M on a Saturday but actually make a loss. You and NSW say that they should be taxed on the $1M. Certainly not a level playing field given that the tote can not lose. Can't think of anywhere else in life that you can be taxed for making a loss.
    Hey mickey, I can think of something else in life where you still get taxed for losing..........Harness Racing. I haven't trained a winner this season and I am still getting taxed. Also...........Death. NZ's Death duty just rose by 15%.............

+ Reply to Thread