I'm hardly a rules expert so was wondering if a stable has multiple runners in a race is it actually in line with the rules that they work together to get one of them the win?

The issue crossed my mind recently firstly after watching the Young Pedro FFA on 29th June at Melton with Justice's 3 up front they made life hard for Jacca Clive to even get to the death.

Then last Friday night race 10 at Melton the stewards quizzed B Mangos on Mr Nickel over his drive, "When questioned regarding the tactics and performance of Mr Nickel, driver Brent Mangos explained that after a brief challenge for the lead in the early stages he then elected to restrain to obtain cover in the one out line and after achieving the gelding failed to travel on the bit before proving extremely disappointing over the concluding stages. A post-race veterinary examination of Mr Nickel failed to reveal any apparent abnormalities."

Brief challenge? Yes but during that 'brief challenge' they went absolutely flat out. Whilst Purdon's other horse Fly Like An Eagle sits back taking it easy and swoops on them when they were cooked - and where does Mr Nickel finish? 40m last. I'm fairly sure it's against his normal pattern of racing to lead or be driven so aggressively so early.

Any thoughts on this issue? If you owned Mr Nickel or Onedin Hustler would you be 'miffed' at the way your horse was driven in these races? Didn't they just transfer back to Purdon with Mr Nickel? Maybe not such a good move if he's just going to use you as a donkey for his 1st stringers.....??