Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aussiebreno's Graded PBD System

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Got a chuckle out of that one too Ron, and if it read like I was trying to ridicule Brendan, then an apology is required from me and will be delivered to him as that was certainly not my intention,just my twisted sense of humour at work.

As to your original question, I believe, we are falling over ourselves trying to provide SO MUCH information to punters we are in actual fact over arming them with information to the point where too many short priced favourites are occurring, thus stifling the betting.
    From your post there appears to be another issue ( which doesn't surprise me in the least) that some people find the information a complete overload, which they feel bogged down by.

Completely agree with you that we all have a "purge point" located in a very similar position to everyone else, to me that is further evidence that we are all equal and nobody should feel like they are "special" or should receive preferential treatment over other individuals and/or other groups.

So please Ron feel free to express your opinion, while you are doing so, think about the fact that others ought have the same liberty, this is a forum afterall.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Nice to have your OK to express an opinion Dan.Feel much better now.Be interested for you to point out where I have expressed disapproval of some one else expressing theirs.I concede that I might show disapproval of the way they express it but not that they do so.

aussiebreno
    Danno,

Rest assured I laughed the first time I heard it. It's either grown on me or I'm sick of hearing it! I'm not even sure if I like the idea, was just throwing it out there!

I did see the standing start angle but preferred not to mention it, as it doesn't inspire confidence in punters, myself included. If I see a race is a standing start race, rightly or wrongly, I don't even bother having a look at the form. I'm sure I'm not the only one. That's not good for turnover which is kind of a big income point for the sport.

As for form being too detailed; there is nothing a punter can't really piece together without detailed form anyway. As for withholding information, isn't there rules against that? Why aren't people allowed to know what happened :s.
    I doubt small time punters read much form anyway, and bigger time punters whoms money helps bring in prices would probably be watching replays anyway - piecing together their own form. Whether the form is as simple as figure form for last three starts or as detailed as the Herald Sun Melbourne Cup preview I don't think it will make too much difference. If simplified form leads to false prices, big punters will exploit it and jump in and take overs, thus bringing us back to square 1 - only leaving smaller time punters more dissiluisoned.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    Aussiebreno,

Can I ask why you place so much emphisis on the class of a horse in a barrier draw?

Cheers.
    Our whole handicapping system is based on class, most Pbd races are Pbd by class, so I was just sticking with the status quo ... I'm hardly going to make a post and criticize the current system where a c6 mare with a claim driver can draw better than a c4 under and then not mention class lol!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    Ausbrenno,

By grouping together a certain group of horses based on their class, race programs determine which horses can race against one another.

The barrier draw handicaps that group of horses to make it the most even race possible.

Cheers.
    Firstly, thanks for the post I will get back to the rest soon. As for the part of your post I've left quoted, that is exactly what I am saying in my opening post. I'm all for letting the mares and concession drivers race against lower class horses, but at the moment the barrier draw is not making it the most even race possible. This is because better class horses are drawing better than lower classed horses. I would also argue grading, class, handicapping, race programmes all are inter related, everything (generalisation) currently comes back to how many races a horse has won.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Brenno how do you look at it when the higher class horse actually has significantly less earnings either lifetime or recent runs then the horse with the lower assesment?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Brenno how do you look at it when the higher class horse actually has significantly less earnings either lifetime or recent runs then the horse with the lower assesment?
    That is up to trainer to place their horse in Pbd $ races. I'm all for a few different conditions to give more horses a chance of finding a suitable race. Which is why we need to look after those trainers that do nominate thinking they will get a good draw only to be duded.

+ Reply to Thread