Can't wait to read the thoughts of Paul and his young bloke after this years SA Cup.
For those new to the forum, here is some background. First up 2012 edition.
It reads

Was a bit apprehensive as we pulled out the driveway (late as usual) Saturday morning. Sons not the best traveller in a car if it's not for harness racing reasons. "Are we there yet?", etc, etc. Didn't think the fact he would spend most of the next 2 days sitting in one had sunk in on him. And I haven't driven a long trip like that for years so was a bit concerned how I'd go.

Got all the questions as we travelled on "Who was the best horse you ever saw?", "What was the best race?", "who was the best driver?" etc, etc. Got me recalling Pure Steel and Preux Cheveliar. Popular Alm and Gammalite. V.Knight in his heyday. Digging things out of me memory I thought long gone.

After few hours it kicked in, "NUMB-ARSE-ITITUS". He starting to get a little uncomfortable too. "Wanna turn back mate?" "No way dad. Keep going". The resultant pit stops slowed our progress a little. When we finally got there and found hotel it was a quick shower and find the track. Dunno who was more excited, me or son.

A long queue at the turnstiles!! Something I haven't seen at the trots for years!

Huge crowd there. Biggest for years they said. From the chatter in the queue, reckon most of them there to see Smoken Up.

Just before the big race the lights went out. Tipping they had so many things plugged into power points that hadn't be used for ages the system couldn't cope. Then they came on, then they went off. Over and over again. Each time they came on there was a mad rush of officials all getting into position and then a combined groan every time they went off. The track lights were still on so people were asking why they couldnt run the race. It was explained they couldn't get power to the photo finish camera. "What do they need that for?" people asked. "No one will get near Smoken Up".

A few people left but otherwise no one moved. Like us, they were there to see the champ.

The bloke doing the on course trackside commentary (Ray Fewings?) did a fantastic job keeping the crowd informed and entertaining them. He did a great job all night actually. During pre-race warm up, as each horse came down the straight he was explaining the different gear on horses, introducing the drivers, trainers, etc.

And Jimmy Jacques too. Now theres another great talent we are blessed with.

They got the band out (they were supposed to be playing for a while after the last). And the band played on while the lights were off. "Just like the band on the Titanic did" as the trackside commentator put it. Me numb arse starting aching even more when there was talk of the race being called off and re run next weekend.

The lights came on again. There was a countdown sort of as all expected them to go out again. But no, this time they stayed on. The crowd cheered when the first of the horses came back out on the track. In drib and drabs they arrived. But no Smoken Up. It was like he was paying them back for making him wait. Looking around and could see most eyes glued on the gate that leads onto the track and there was another cheer when he finally arrived.

A big cheer too when the race finally started. It was over by time they reached the winning post the first time as Smoken Up took the lead. But no one cared. Just like us, they were there to see a champion in all his glory. And they got what they came for.

Haven't laughed so hard for a long time on the long trip home. And me arse is still numb!

"What did people mean when they said we were silly for driving all that way for a horse race dad?".
"They just don't understand mate".
"How long would it take to drive to Perth for the Interdom dad?"

Come on numb arse, there's an adventure worth considering!! Attached Images