Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something upbeat leading into the Sydney Sales...

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Thumbs up Something upbeat leading into the Sydney Sales...

Was told today......G. Bennett committed to stand trial, B. Sarina warned off for Life.
    Looks like close on 19 months worth of effort by HRNSW has finally borne some fruit.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando

Thumbs up

Very Good.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Junior Member Weanling jimmy777 will become famous soon enough jimmy777's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jim Boyd
    The below link is the judgement on the Ben Sarina case and makes interesting reading.

http://www.hrnsw.com.au/assets/files...a%20250213.pdf

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy777 View Post
    The below link is the judgement on the Ben Sarina case and makes interesting reading.

I've never met him. The lad had exceptional talent and I guess he's pissed it away.

Warned off for life, is just way too harsh.

I understand what's gone on, it's terrible but young blokes like him, trying to make a career in a tough business where opportunities can be scarce without support, sometimes from dodgy characters, can be led astray in an effort to put food on the table and maintain a career.

They'll rub guys out but the root of the problem will still exist.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    I understand what's gone on, it's terrible but young blokes like him, trying to make a career in a tough business where opportunities can be scarce without support, sometimes from dodgy characters, can be led astray in an effort to put food on the table and maintain a career.

They'll rub guys out but the root of the problem will still exist.
    [VVV] Agree wholeheartedly.

The current lack of what I am about to suggest doesn't excuse what he & others have apparently done....that has been nothing short of appalling...however moving forward I would very much like to see a genuine effort made by NSW Officialdom to have some sort of mentoring system put in place.
    If done properly I believe that it would greatly limit if not prevent many of our young drivers from being exposed to the dodgy elements who pray upon them.

The key to the success or failure of this idea is twofold.

Firstly, aspiring young drivers need to be able to clearly identify some sort of a career path for themselves. Like every other profession they need to be able to see that if they put in the hard yards that there will be progression & if they're good enough that they'll ultimately be rewarded for their efforts. I don't think that's too much to ask, does anyone?

Secondly, as just as importantly as the above point, along the way they need to have at least some sort of chance of...if not making money per se...then at the very least covering their costs/paying some of their bills by way of driving horses. Again, not too much to ask by any means, not in my book anyway.

One of the hardest if not THE hardest job that any young person might gravitate towards these days is that of a full-time Harness Racing Driver....or even a part-time one for that matter. There are big-time risks involved & for initially & more often than not an ongoing situation which generally results in little or no financial reward.
    Without moral & financial support from both behind the scenes (family/friends/Industry participants) and from Industry Officialdom/Regulatory...as sure as night follows day, at some stage in the near or not too distant future we'll be on here debating this same thing once more, the system having once again failed yet another generation of formerly young & aspiring drivers.
    Last edited by Triple V; 03-01-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    While on the one hand it's hard to disagree that it's a tough caper and mentoring by role models will definitely help the young ones to walk a straight line.........at least two of the guys up to their neck in this had excellent role models and mentors in the shape of their fathers......you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, and in this particular case that is very true on both fronts.

These grubs had every opportunity, and I mean EVERY opportunity, to do well and play fair, but they chose to be the dirty, filthy, scum that have damaged our game immensely....just remember people, these little twats HAD a CHOICE!!

F___ing scum!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy777 View Post

This whole sordid, stinking cesspool of corruption, the worst of its kind since the Gleesons were rubbed out needed to be dealt with in an extreme manner and harsh penalties needed to be dealt out. As we know the Stewards investigative powers are somewhat hamstrung with their limitations and in no way extend to the powers of the Police. So to be able to bring any case to a successful prosecution and make it stand up to appeal, they need to gather as much information as possible (no matter how small) to build their cases.

In this instance Ben Sarina has attempted to thwart the case by giving false evidence that has been torn to shreds by the Special Panel - and this was no wet behind the ears inquiry with no less than Des Gleeson and Ray Murrihy sitting. These guys HAVE seen it ALL before with decades of experience in dealing with corrupt activity and on much bigger stages than young Ben could ever imagine. After reading the transcript of the hearing (and as harsh as the finding may have been), I cannot help but think they have been exceptionally generous in offering him an out of the situation which he has chosen to thumb his nose at. His life since November 2011 was put under scrutiny financially, personally and the lack of opportunity work-wise has affected his life and lifestyle dramatically if you accept how his legal representation painted it. Goes to show how good your life can be until something that is a huge part of it has been taken away.

I said 'generous' on behalf of the Special Panel, because after the contempt he has shown for both the Stewards and the Special Panel, he has still been thrown a lifeline by the industry that he has scorned. Ben has thrown HIS life to the shitter to protect others that do not deserve any protection from the legal process. He either accepts his life as a labourer on a minimum wage and a much tougher life ahead OR he decides to tell the truth. Its a tough choice, people close to him on both sides will suffer because he has chosen to shut up. Ben, I hope you see the light one day, you WERE a great driver.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    http://www.hrnsw.com.au/appeals.html

Cam Fitzpatrick hearing from here make no less interesting reading about the concept of misguided loyalty.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    http://www.hrnsw.com.au/appeals.html

Cam Fitzpatrick hearing from here make no less interesting reading about the concept of misguided loyalty.
    Defies logic that faced with such lengthy DQ periods ahead, that Cameron has not been more willing to be totally upfront especially after admitting (off the record), his part to Sam Nati prior to the intitial stewards interview. Even when, as the report put it, an olive branch had been offered by HRNSW he still chose to protect others. Friendships can be close and misguided perhaps, but when it is reported Bentley was secretly recording Fitzpatrick at a meeting at Five Dock for the police...surely a time comes to recognise such errors of judgement. In years to come he will regret his decision.

VVV in this young mans case what more could have been available to him. A family steeped in tradition of harness with support, direction, moral and financial grounding, HRNSW offering help at the 11th hour and still its not good enough.

Few years ago a cadet steward who had spent 18 months in Sydney had been at Grafton for 6 months got the boot from Ray Murrihy for 'fraternising' with some apprentices. Pretty rough justice and there was no hint of any corruption taking place. Here is the local rags report at the time. http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/...sacked/287692/

The last I heard young Tate was studying Sports Management at Uni in 2010...who knows, maybe there will be an opening for him at Cronulla soon!

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Does anyone know/suspect, how the stewards/police found out what O'Toole and Bentley were doing? Was definately an interesting read though!

+ Reply to Thread