Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has There Been A Death In The Family?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Dan

I also take issue with this. In fact, you could not be more wrong. The commercial breeder doesnt gain anything from this. The whole purpose of the original report( some 18 months ago) was to try and stimulate the HOBBY breeder. Hobby breeders account for around 90% of all foals born and they have been leaving the industry in droves or simply not breeding. The breeders panel report made numerous suggestions as to how to possibly reverse this trend. These included creating a national mares credit scheme, more fillies and mares races, increased bonuses for fillies and mares winning their first race etc.

Unfortunately, HRA and the various state bodies decided to implement higher import fees without any detail as to how the resulting revenue is to be used other than to say for "breeding iniatives". This is very disappointing, as the panel members including myself, have now been attacked as having been the brains behind the import tax, when in fact all we proposed was measures to try and get more foals on the ground and create more opportunities for fillies and mares so that people are more likely to breed from them.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    I forgot to mention, that I personally import 5-10 horses every year from both USA and NZ. I also breed in NZ and get horses up and going with a view to selling to Aust. So, for people to say that I am going to benefit under this new fee is just plain ridiculous.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    As a commercial/semi - commercial breeder in Australia I refute the suggestion that this move will " prop me up " . I have been a breeder and owner of standardbreds all my life and since purchasing the previous Vinery Thoroughbred Stud in Victoria we have sought to upgrade our mares. 90% of the broodmare band has been purchased as yearlings or going horses from NZ or the USA. These imported mares have left ; Maffioso, Sugarland , Musical Delight , Countdown , Yankee Rockstar ,
    Couragesnquick, with racemares such as Shezacullen, National Gallery and Kabbalah Karen B yet to have progeny on the track.
    I feel the importation of mares is of great benefit to whole broodmare industry as it broadens the Australian gene pool and provides further options for the future. Many imported mares have become the foundation of great "Australian " families.
    Any mares that I now import will be subject to this increase . It further adds to my costs and my greater concern is ; what will become of these funds that are raised. It is a simple process to estimate the value and put forward a plan to provide the industry with information for the disbursement of the proceeds. Lets hope it doesn't fall into that big black hole !
    G'day Anne,
    think it's fair to say harshest increases in the import fees are designed to slow or make more expensive the importation of the going horses to Australia, hence make Australian bred horses more attractive than they currently are..simple supply and demand thing where you manipulate the market/demand and increase the value of the home grown product, but the person wearing the cost is our owners.....I believe they are doing it tougher now than at any time during my forty years of involvement in this silly game, and as usual, nobody is doing much lobbying on their behalf.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    Dan

I also take issue with this. In fact, you could not be more wrong. The commercial breeder doesnt gain anything from this. The whole purpose of the original report( some 18 months ago) was to try and stimulate the HOBBY breeder. Hobby breeders account for around 90% of all foals born and they have been leaving the industry in droves or simply not breeding. The breeders panel report made numerous suggestions as to how to possibly reverse this trend. These included creating a national mares credit scheme, more fillies and mares races, increased bonuses for fillies and mares winning their first race etc.

Unfortunately, HRA and the various state bodies decided to implement higher import fees without any detail as to how the resulting revenue is to be used other than to say for "breeding iniatives". This is very disappointing, as the panel members including myself, have now been attacked as having been the brains behind the import tax, when in fact all we proposed was measures to try and get more foals on the ground and create more opportunities for fillies and mares so that people are more likely to breed from them.
    G'day Harvey,
    supply and demand mate, if you manipulate the supply and it's costs you will manipulate demand, demand is what supports price in any competitve market, thats how I, in fact could not be more right. So to say the commercial breeder doesn't gain anything from this could not be more either naive or wrong, take your pick.

I am one of those people who are the hobby breeders you refer to and we mainly are also owners...breeding our own to race (hopefully). I believe the reason behind hobby breeders breeding less is because owners are leaving the game in the droves, the reasons for this are many, but if you ran an exit poll I believe the majority would say prizemoney levels, followed by integrity issues.
    I have been around this game for a long time, about 45 of my 55 years and I have never seen such density in the winning trainers as we are seeing, in particular over the last 6 or 7 years......like it/believe it or not there is at least a PERCEPTION that something untoward is happening..and you know the saying "perception is reality" and owners are leaving the game, not soley because of this, but some certainly are saying so.

If this increased tax is supposedly designed to encourage hobby breeders to breed more foals it has therfore missed the mark by a country mile!!!

As I said in my response to Anne, I think the tax on the going horses is most excessive and just adds further to the costs of our poor battered owners.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Maybe its our Industry's version of the CARBON TAX

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    I was banned from posting and had a thread removed for throwing P Ferguson under the bus for his drive in the Auckland Cup. Hung out ROFL !! The stewards bought it, I suggested 12 weeks minimum.

Now I've thrown many a driver under the bus on this forum, P Ferguson the first Kiwi driver. The forum moderator is fine with Aussie bashing, just leave the hapless Kiwi's alone : )

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Although I take personal exception to your comments about my alleged support for Aussie bashing and believe you should be sanctioned for same in this instance I'm going to leave your post above intact so that it can be referred to relative to this post.
    The problem is that your post, as consistent with your latest, was a direct and deliberate attack on named persons where there was no evidence to substantiate your claim.
    I don't know what race you were watching. I'm sure it wasn't the same Auckland Cup I was watching but okay you can have your opinion.
    A few things for you to consider when accusing the stewards panel of being incompetent and the chief steward of lying in his meeting report...(and when you want to use your race analysis talents on NZ racing)
    1.. whether you like it or not the race was run in NZ under the NZ rules of harness racing. Clearly you are not familiar with the rules governing the meeting. They are available in full on www.hrnz.co.nz for you to be more au fait next time.
    2.. The stewards have access to upto 5 various angles of your so claimed incident. You as a TV viewer has one.
    3.. If what you claim happened then under NZ rules it would be G Hall Jnr facing a charge not P Ferguson. NZ rules allow drivers to push out and displace other outside runners within the last 1000m of a race. They don't allow pushing in as you claim G Hall Jnr cleverly "shut the gate" I guess what you think you saw and claimed in your post didn't happen.
    4.. Just to enlighten you further..Driving penalties are more consistently managed in NZ. Suspension are not handed out willy nilly. they are based on the number of drives a driver may lose in that period of stand down. As per agreed guidelines drawn up in consultation with all interested parties including the NZ harness racing trainers and drivers assn. Race penalties in NZ are not at the whim and desire of the stewards based on what side of the bed they got out that day.
    Stewards in NZ don't make the rules. They police the rules made by other consulted parties of all stakeholders.

Your post was deleted for as I told you at the time...
    You accused the stewards of lying because their view of a race incident as written in their report did not concur with your view. They have better resources and knowledge than you as a punter / viewer to determine what happens in a race and why.
    Your claim that Mr Ferguson had breached the rules and should be outed is not based on any sense of reality of the situation or the rules.
    I repeat Please do not call people Liars on this forum when you don't know the rules under which they operate nor the resources with which to judge.

Finally I doubt that your claim that I support Aussie bashing will garner much support from those in this forum whose posts have gone the same way as yours for the same reason. I can't see that changing sadly. When one leaves another inevitably takes their place.
    Personally there is plenty of opinion I read on here I don't agree with and with 40 plus years experience in every aspect of the racing industry from television, wagering, on track services, Stud work, breeding, ownership, training, administration...you name it...Clearly there is much I have read here I didn't know nor believe or it may not all be true but an opinion honestly thought through supporting their view of the ISSUE is what fills these pages and enlightens the masses.
    What the forum moderator.. quote you.. is not fine with and has received plenty of support not just from members but also those non members who come onto the forum to read the great material as guests, is people who come on here think to hell with the rules, to hell with any thought of what they are writing, to hell with who they may be insulting... just go for it eh. And then shock horror, cry wolf..are gobsmacked that the defamatory trash they write has miraculously disappeared. Then they whinge and moan..."I didn't do anything wrong. my post was unfairly deleted. Let's bag someone else. Can't think of anyone... I know what about the moderator(s). Unfortunately there seems to be always one out there determined to bag and slag off just for the hell of it. They can expect short lives here.

This thread is about why the forum has gone quiet in recent times. The forum may go quiet at times. It has been so since its inception but it always comes to life again with sensible well thought out and researched material backing up opinions. IMO the first post to entitle this thread is the latest of many such examples. You don't see these posts nor the regular members who post in a positive and thoughtful manner whingeing where their posts have gone or why they are on enforced holidays. That must seem strange, in light of your closing offering cos the vast majority of them are Aussies.
    Last edited by teecee; 03-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    Dan

In my humble opinion one of the best ways to stimulate the hobby breeder is to instill some sort of above average hope that their offspring will sell & or have somewhere to race if they are just average units..this element of harness racing seems to have been eliminated...I have seen so many hobby breeders & local stallion owners lost to the sport through this point alone...When I first became a licencee there was an abundance of local grass roots racing catering for this level of breeding..ie you bred a horse with so much more scope of being something than it offers today.
    It doesnt take rocket science to work out that declining genuine opportunitys,AT ALL LEVELS,of breeding something that can be more than dog meat = less breeding by the hobbyist..
    Harvey made the point of nearly 90% of all foals born are from the "hobbyist" sector...yet it seems that due to declining energies & resources being directed to the grass roots level of our sport this 90% is being seemingly "squeezed" out

aussiebreno
    Anybody looking for some light reading.
    I located this thread. I haven't had time to read it over yet.
    http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...ghlight=import

+ Reply to Thread