Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tying up

Hybrid View

Member Filly squaregaiter will become famous soon enough squaregaiter's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bruce Dalton
    Hi Brent, not sure if you are a “newbie” to the forum like myself or a “newbie” to “training” however as Danno has already pointed out it seems a “simple” and common request but it is a huge subject that many people and companies have all sorts of products for but all those who do manufacture agree on one thing only, they have no idea in real terms what causes the problem as it can be a case of so many things. Most will say things like will “aid” or “help” but no one goes out on a limb and says they have the answer as it is so complexed in the first place.

What Danno has said is 100% correct however it goes much further than that also. I owned several years ago a high profile city TB horse that tied up and in short I was with a trainer who presented his horses spot on each and every time he went to the races (over a 90% strike rate money earners to starters) and he was pedantic in the way he presented his horses and crossed every t and dotted the I’s however this horse got the better of him in the end, so I went about over a period of time researching this subject to the “enth degree “and finally put together a 40 page book on blood for him that broke up in laymens terms what part of each of the blood” segments” were and the causes that can be learnt from it with readings that are bad.

The reason I mention this is IMHO take a blood and send it off to have analyzed, it will tell you just where you are at. Supplements / Paste/Patches are not cheap and in the end you may find other reason than you are treating for and whilst a blood will cost you maybe $85 if it is done correctly then it will save you not only money but heartache. Be mindful of when you take the blood as it will change to some degree just after work and when the horse gets tense and then make sure you get it to the lab quickly if you have one near you. You are not looking at what they may tell you or what you need/flogged to you but if you read the analysis you will see yourself where the problems lie, as Donno mention there are several things that you would look for that is “out of whack”, look careful and Red & White Cells count , Lymphocytes and Neutrophils but the first one you will find should be the CK & AST counts.
    The patches you were refereeing to are possibly Equiwinner and again as Danno suggested BC2A paste but try and get the USA made one not the local one. A company in Sydney called Ranlab ( not vet) also manufacturers a paste the same as the USA formula and there is a difference between them and from experience the USA formula is worth the $1.50 extra if you are giving that sort of treatment. As Danno says it is a big subject and we could fill the entire
    Hope this helps some and not gives you more headaches J

Junior Member Weanling AllAboutArt will become famous soon enough AllAboutArt's Avatar
    Real Name
    Adam Muldoon
    Occupation
    bike sales
    Horses
    Burning Ambition,All About Art,DeliverdW
    Where can I get this paste please

+ Reply to Thread