Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Natis Comments on Sky Sports Radio

Senior Member 2YO Pena will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Peters

Sam Natis Comments on Sky Sports Radio

I heard Sam Nati on the radio today and I think his comments are at best laughable.

Sam does not think a ridiculous $2200 on importing New Zealand horses is having an impact on field sizes.

Sam there are 26 of 59 horses at Menagle on Saturday night that are New Zealand bred.

If you are looking to buy a horse in the $10-$20k bracket fron NZ and that probably constitues 90% of horses for sale depending on your agent this is a massive impost.

If Sam really does not believe that it is having an imact think again. Of course it will not affect the Halls and McCarthys as they are paying huge $ but it is going to have an impact on your bread and butter every week horses.

Why don't we want to import Kiwi horses to Australia it has been working up until now.

Sam, if you really want to encourage people to spend locally, refund all the import fees to the people that have paid them as breeding bonuses to spend locally. Putting some big race on that only one person wins will have zero impact on encouraging people to spend money on the breeding inductry.

If harness racing really wants to encourage participation beyond its current boundaries importing tried horses is the best way possible. New participants do not want a horse running in 3 years time they want it to happen now. Kiwi horses fill this neice so Sam please get back to reality and stop trying to punish participants.

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    I could not agree more with this post.

In my view, this is a 'tax' and contravenes the intention of the free trade arrangements between NZ and Australia.

Senior Member 2YO Pena will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Peters
    Adam,

You obviously don't mind paying for the cost of someone completing the transfer but the price for the 5yo+ mare should be the maximum charge. ($275)

The joke is that the authorities are obviously happy for the broodmares to be pinched from NZ as the import fee is low, but they want the horses bred in Australia. I will give the authorities a heads up. New Zealand will always be a better and cheaper place to bred and rare horses. If Harness racing does not remove this ridiculous burden I shudder to think how weak our fields will be in 2 years.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    We have had this argument many times on this site. I like the fee. I breed my own horses so I think the fee is good. You buy or sell horses from NZ so you don't like the fee.
    In my opinion all the NZ imports are killing our breeding industry, if it continues we will only be able to get horses from NZ. How can that be good. Our state bodies have to protect our industry not NZ's.
    If you don't like the fee, buy Australian horses, simple as that. Or move to NZ and race your horses there! Oh what they don't have enough prize money ! Tuff luck !
    I know people wont like my opinion just like I don't like yours . But it's a free country so bring on the hate !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Rick, did you read all Jack's OP? What do you think of the idea of continuing the fee but having it recoverable if the importer also breeds or buys aussie within 12 months.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    We have had this argument many times on this site. I like the fee. I breed my own horses so I think the fee is good. You buy or sell horses from NZ so you don't like the fee.
    In my opinion all the NZ imports are killing our breeding industry, if it continues we will only be able to get horses from NZ. How can that be good. Our state bodies have to protect our industry not NZ's.
    If you don't like the fee, buy Australian horses, simple as that. Or move to NZ and race your horses there! Oh what they don't have enough prize money ! Tuff luck !
    I know people wont like my opinion just like I don't like yours . But it's a free country so bring on the hate !
    [VVV] Well said Rick.
    I fully support Sam's comments, I applaud them.
    Furthermore I fully support the new import fees & I applaud their introduction.
    Prior to their introduction the opponents of these fees repeatedly sought to paint them as an imposition upon the going horse buyers here in Australia...however in reality that is simply not the case.
    Higher fees will ultimately come out of the seller's end of the deal, not the buyers end.
    Instead of $X the Kiwis will get $X-.
    It is all rather disingenuous for the no arguement to be suggesting otherwise.
    It's a case of shut the gate the horse has bolted, regardless of which side of the fence anyone finds themself on. The fees are now in place there they shall remain. Three Cheers for all those involved in their introduction.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Rick,
    I think differently to yourself ,but not into the "hate" stuff, I think the group who will suffer most from this impost on imports is the poor old bloody owner ( there are a few on this forum now going ho f..ing hum here he goes again).. BUT... and I will continue to beat this drum for as long as it takes to get REAL change.

The import fee is designed to make the australian bred product more attractive and use the funds to support races for Australian bred stock...analysis says....support local breeders! BOOM,SHOCK,HORROR,!!!!!!!! the ( many and varied) administartors of our silly game have been encouraged, etc to do this very same thing via many mediums ( think Sires Stakes ala breeders crown, think Bathurst Gold Crown, Australian Pacing Gold) this has only succeeded in causing owners to pay over odds prices for yearlings and young stock......get inadequate returns and subsequently leave the game dissillusioned and unfulfilled.

I do not agree with the import fee in principle ( Triple will love this) as I do honestly believe in (truly) free markets and the fact that the long suffering owners are slugged,once again, even more in order to assist the breeders ( can I say at this point for those that do not know, I am a HOBBY breeder,owner,trainer,driver and reluctant farrier) as in my opinion it simply makes our game more unattractive, and that is the key to my personal perspective,if it's not good for the game, it's not good in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Whilst I was writing that post, Jamie has thrown his "two bobs worth" in and can I ask you Triple? how are you so sure the vendor will cover/absorb the additional cost? Mate you put a few XXX's and $$$ in there but can you support your statements with fact.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Nz breeders are producing more horses than their local industry needs. Aust breeders are not producing enough horses.
    So we either continue to bring in thousands of NZ horses to the great benefit of NZ breeders or we encourage Aust breeders to breed more horses.
    I would like to keep the money in Australia and see a lot more done to help Australian breeders.
    Sure some owners want a quick return so they buy going horses from NZ at often over inflated prises . So the Aust studmasters and breeders miss out.
    There still seem to be plenty of NZ horses coming each year so the fee is not having much effect. The amount of horses being bred in Aust is dropping every year and the amount of stallions standing at stud keeps dropping . So you do the maths.
    Don't die wondering !

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Nz breeders are producing more horses than their local industry needs. Aust breeders are not producing enough horses.
    So we either continue to bring in thousands of NZ horses to the great benefit of NZ breeders or we encourage Aust breeders to breed more horses.
    I would like to keep the money in Australia and see a lot more done to help Australian breeders.
    Sure some owners want a quick return so they buy going horses from NZ at often over inflated prises . So the Aust studmasters and breeders miss out.
    There still seem to be plenty of NZ horses coming each year so the fee is not having much effect. The amount of horses being bred in Aust is dropping every year and the amount of stallions standing at stud keeps dropping . So you do the maths.
    The higher fee only came into effect a few months ago though.

+ Reply to Thread