Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we make Harness Racing strong via today's sports betting market

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Interesting comments coming through. I recently managed a club on a p/t basis - my second stint there after a stint there some years back. There is no comparing the industry now to back some 10 years ago sadly.

Majority of clubs are struggling for money within the industry, even some of the larger ones. You would be surprised how many clubs in fact. A club receives 10% of on-course turnover but there is not much incentive for a club to promote a day like today for example, so your on-course hold (TAB and bookmaker) would be lucky to exceed $8000. Add to this a gate of about $150 and probably $200 at the bar and you can see how difficult it is for a club to generate income, let alone pay wages, bills etc.

Turnover on some weekday/night meets can be as little as $2000-$3000 on-course.

Clubs receive marketing $$ for their Cup only (once a year) which must be matched dollar for dollar, unlike the greyhounds where a marketing budget exists year round.

Having also worked in the broadcast media mainly across the greyhound code for the last couple of years, I have experienced how their meetings are promoted/received. While their crowds on average are not better than the trots, their sport is promoted exceptionally well, although of course this does all come at a cost.

One thing they do offer in Vic is that all their Cup races are staged for virtually the same minimum stake - as an example the Warragul Cup carries the same stake as the Ballarat Cup unlike in the trots where there is around $100,000 difference. This would be difficult to implement in the trots due to the different class of horse competing across the Cup's, however consider that the Warragul Cup stake of $25,000 has not risen since 2006, and that the club probably puts in some $10,000 of its own money to that stake, unlike the dogs.

And where are the earning opportunities for horses once they win their M0? Once you are out of an M0 you will probably encounter Smoken Up each week. Going back some 10-15 years you could win 3 or 4 in town then sell the horse to WA or USA - I don't know if this still happens as frequently.

I am sure we all remember trips to the Valley and dining in the members or Celebrity Room and watching the car park fill up. The biggest mistake was leaving the inner city, where the money is re potential owners/investors in our sport. The research proved some years back that the majority of members of the then VHRC lived in the Eastern suburbs. While the trainers are "out the other side" they will find it hard to train without owners.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that too many mistakes have been made by successive boards/administrators, and I certainly noticed in my second brief stint in management that there was very little in the way of support or money in my club. If this is reflective of other clubs then yes it will be an interesting/challenging next decade for our sport.

I have gone on for too long but two final points - I took a trots veteran to the dogs on a feature night at Sandown last year and he couldn't believe the atmosphere and the quality service in the dining package we had - I think he said he went home and cried! Secondly, the Gippsland Harness Training Centre has some 17 full-time students at present, many from the Latrobe Valley region (Traralgon) where racing ceased nearly 20 years ago. This course has run since 1997 largely without any support from the controlling body. Indeed the Chairman toured the facility recently and stated he had no idea that such an operation even existed.

I can tell you a lot more, maybe some other time. I retain a committee involvement but have become disillusioned somewhat with the racing industry in recent times for a variety of reasons, and I do feel sorry for those still battling away in the trots who throw their heart and soul into it seven days a week.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Perfectly said Phil.

Pity thread spoilt by negative comments.

Need people to think "Why did I get involved?" and try pass that on to others. I don't have a 'horse' background. A school mate of mine did. I got caught up in it because of he and his familys involvement. Been involved ever since. Not a big punter so not helping that way but spending on the breeding & racing side.

Don't have to push people into it. Just need to get them to be part of it. Let them see how much work goes into it and then might appreciate why people get so excited when they have a small success and join in. Won't be everyones cup of tea but there must be people out there who would get the same enjoyment out of it as we do.

My young son not a big fan at first. He loves it now and I was a little amazed when asked him a while back why he liked it so much.

Happened to breed a good horse that turned our household upside down and still does.

Was that it?
    Nope.

So was because of Smoken Up?
    Nope.

Scratch head.. so why?
    You remember that day Fez won at Yarra Glen.

Never forget it. That why?
    Yep.

Why?
    Coz you were so excited and happy and you had so much fun chasing him around. Even when he got beat every time you were still happy when you got home. Fez (eventually) won a C0 and was then retired.

It's a different world these days. A 'soft' world. But surely there are people out there whose 'passion' can be awoken like mine and my sons was.... hard work, little or no reward, but then one day....

Phils post is spot on. Don't need marketing types. Need people who can show the challenge that it is. The non-stop work that people put in to get a horse to the races let alone win one.

When can you start Phil??

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I think Phil should be running the show but no job for you George sorry, On ya bike!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    And as soon as Phil and his ideas start operating successfully he and the blueprints will be poached by the gallops!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Just reading this..

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=23419

Whether you agree or disagree with the concept not the point. All that work done by HRA for nothing and a bid to attract new viewers thwarted because Sky Channel didn't come good with their side of the bargain. Good work them!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Did that involve Cranbourne races 2&3 tonight Paul?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Don't know for sure Kevin. There was certainly no mile races in the program I looked at. Assume they have been changed to mile races after the sky channel debacle.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Just reading this..

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=23419

Whether you agree or disagree with the concept not the point. All that work done by HRA for nothing and a bid to attract new viewers thwarted because Sky Channel didn't come good with their side of the bargain. Good work them!
    Gee, just browsing at what that hot shots is, it looks really exciting, at risk of putting the traditionalists off side.
    And the fact they've got a few states involved is a great idea.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Both Hot Shots and the similarly mindless ridiculously named tripe HRNSW served up here...complete with the dish licker colours...is nothing short of an absolute bloody travesty. It's a HRA green lighted TAB powered attempt to debase Harness Racing and turn it into a churn and burn Dog Lotto style product. Those behind it should individually and collectively hang their &$#ing heads in shame.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    My hats off to them for at least trying something. Afterall, its only a few races. Its not as if its going to be a staple. Get it in the right time slot (maybe a Thursday or Friday afternoon) and we may be able to get some ground back off the Greyhounds.

+ Reply to Thread