Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
quote"Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book."

No direction at all equals no idea......just dollars.

The old format wins hands down from this new FFA format. Give me the toughest over a 4 race series. No more wild cards etc. score the points in the heats and enjoy your right to be in the final.
"FFA format"! So true there Bailey.
I remember growing up and getting excited over the ID Carnival listening to the heats of Australias best battling it out over the sprint, middle and long distance heats.
The thought of the ID coming to Melbourne was huge, it only happened every few years so you HAD to be there. Attended my first ID at age 5 in 1970 with local Alfy Simons winning with Bold David (no i really don't remember much at age 5!) But we travelled to Globe Derby to see 100-1 shot Carclew lead all the way in '76 and i certainly remember my favourite Steelo getting rolled that night. Shortly after in "78 the show lands back in Melbourne at the Valley and the stars of the show were there for all to see, Jacko was down from Temora, Don't Retreat, Dimante Hanover, Royal Gaze and of course B Gath and winner Markovina flying home down the outside!
And last year an ID heat was in Melbourne, but couldn't even get interested in going to see the FFA disguised as a supposed ID!
Sure the final was a great race but the joke of a heat in NZ was a waste even running, the favourite for the Qld heat a 100-1 shot in the final, another FFA in Perth, all boring and predictable essentially to who will get to Menangle for the final. Thats not a carnival, thats not an event, thats not an show rolling into town, thats not an ID!.
At worst run 2 invited heats one weekend with the best 20 horses and run the final 7 days later.