Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    43% winning rate.
    67% win/place rate for leader, they seem pretty darn good to me without that damn cheat lane dominating!!!
    20 years ago and more, what might have these stats been pre sprint lanes?
    would that have been much different i wonder in the world of 800m and less tracks with no sprint lane?
    would it have been a greater leader bias with the leader getting the "soft" run up front? so back in these days the heat was on the leader getting the edge on the others in the race and now it can be on the sprint lane horse.
    swings and roundabouts.
    evolution.
    The evolution will be that when a race is being run, those runners not on the fence, will go slower so that they can't be out sprinted up the straight! Sounds good to me, just cop the go slow fine! We don't see so much "shotgun" driving these days, but expect more in the future, especially when a stable has multiple runners, and big prizemoney races!

Member Yearling cyclone george will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    greg fusinato
    We can all look at stats but there is one stat that is 100% spot on. We will all race more horses that are suited to the sprint lane than the death seat. The worst rule they have changed is the 8 horse has to follow the 1 horse ,if the 1 walks out your out of play,or don't get a clear run ,least with the old way you had a choice to follow the 1 or 1 or 2 . The new way give the 9 a massive advantage of already being in the running line.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Let me put it this way, why should the horse behind the leader or 3F get a clear and free run up the inside, turning for home, when other runners in the race may be held up for a run! It just is not fair............in racing there are many good and bad luck stories of Whatif??........Harness racing perhaps is more prone to this with trying to get the gig that is wider than a horse through a gap, it makes it harder.........But that is what has to be done to win..........you cannot change the rules for a minority of runners in a race, even though they "may not even be affected every time" during a race. There has to be some common sense and logic behind these decisions.........not just a "bad" look for punters when their horse does not get a clear run from behind the leader........what about the others that don't......is it just bad luck for them!...........In the end you can't have your cake and eat it to, just because you end up behind the leader.....whether it is a tactical move or by circumstance that you are on the fence.

If you want to give every runner some sort of even chance, increase the depth of the sprint lane, and then let every runner make a call as to whether they want to go up the inside or come down the outside!

So what is the point of barrier draws, horses with mobile speed or lack of, tactics employed during a race. luck in running, horses performing at, above or below their ability worth, when you allow "some" a free advantage!

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Love them. As a punter, love being on at $3/4+ the place, 3 back on the pegs following 2 horses that won't fall back in my lap. The horse behind the leader goes down into the lane and my horse has a length it can improve immediately.....and that length is generally the difference between 3rd and being an also ran. Do I feel like I've cheated when I collect??.....hmmm

I question whether nationwide conformity (be it with or without the lane) would help increase turnover? Does the mug punter at the pub hesitate to bet because he's not sure whether there is a sprint lane or not?

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Maybe they don't, but when they see their horse flying down the outside and gets beat a nose by a horse they see getting up the sprint lane, they might care then........you can only belt your head against a brick wall a few times before it hurts! They will probably think that harness racing is just a novelty event, and not a serious betting type!

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    At Melton, the sprint lane changes the race completely on straightening, the leader may have fought off all challengers during the race, then up the inside goes someone having an easy run, not going around one horse, knocks it off! Without a sprint lane the driver of the leader can use his ability to hold them in, and perhaps get his deserved win, not serve it up to others on a platter.

With a sprint lane does the leader have to fight off all challenges??cant he fight a couple and then take the sit say 1200mt out..isnt that driving tactics and skill? and then use the sprint lane to his advantage?..just a scenario to consider.For me,I bet on the trots only,because Im passionet about them..a lot of my mates wont bet on the trots at all!! why?? they say you get boxed in and you cant get a run for your money!! Gallops win..Trots lose..the TAB reflects this.I understand that its not soley the previous mentioned and there are other variables but we need to do something.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    At Melton, the sprint lane changes the race completely on straightening, the leader may have fought off all challengers during the race, then up the inside goes someone having an easy run, not going around one horse, knocks it off! Without a sprint lane the driver of the leader can use his ability to hold them in, and perhaps get his deserved win, not serve it up to others on a platter.

With a sprint lane does the leader have to fight off all challenges??cant he fight a couple and then take the sit say 1200mt out..isnt that driving tactics and skill? and then use the sprint lane to his advantage?..just a scenario to consider.For me,I bet on the trots only,because Im passionet about them..a lot of my mates wont bet on the trots at all!! why?? they say you get boxed in and you cant get a run for your money!! Gallops win..Trots lose..the TAB reflects this.I understand that its not soley the previous mentioned and there are other variables but we need to do something.
    I think this is the core of it Kevin. If market research proves that this is so and that there is a change in attitude as a result of having sprint lanes then we probably have to wear them
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    That is rubbish! Until the last few years there were no sprint lanes, it did not effect the betting on Harness Racing.......look at the photos on this site of "massive crowds".............it is cop out that punters don't bet on harness racing because they get boxed.........when someone boxes another run in at the gallops they "all cheer" what a genius, great ride etc...........Harness Racing they say, they were robbed!.......I don't get it??................if this was "really" the case, why don't we see drivers on the fence hanging back a length or so from the horse in front waiting for an opportunity to get off the fence, or pull back to last and definitely get off the fence, if it really is a big deal??...........if you have a weak horse you relish it having a suck fun, and perhaps running a place, or shock horror getting out and winning, if the opportunity is there!

"With a sprint lane does the leader have to fight off all challenges??cant he fight a couple and then take the sit say 1200mt out..isnt that driving tactics and skill? and then use the sprint lane to his advantage?.." That's true, because there is a sprint lane available to do that, with no sprint lane, that driver needs to make a "tactical decision" whether to keep the lead or give up, and perhaps compromise his chances, as to whether he will see the light of day again during this race! This is just a cop out when someone does there money............it's a bit like cricket with all it's rules.......LBW......the ball has to be pitched in line with the stumps to be given out.......why don't they just say out........because it is all part of the "magic" of the game

Menangle does not currently have a sprint lane..........why aren't I hearing that Menangle is the worst place to bet on.......I see fence horses getting inside runs, getting out in the straight, going 3 or 4 wide every race.......and getting held up!!! That is racing for all it is worth! As mentioned previously you can't expect to get a cosy run on the fence, travelling the minimum distance in a race.......then bang!......up the inside you go with an uninterrupted run! Now, I can see punters calling this type of racing "the red hots.

I will give you an extension of what will begin to take place in races where sprint lanes continue to exist........say for example a stable or an ally of that stable, have 2 runners in a race, 1 leads the other sits 2F, if the leader runs along strongly, it just about takes out of play all the other runners in the running line, as they are gassed before the turn, and up goes "Johhny" down the sprint lane to victory........this is how racing will end up!

The only equalising redemption, is that the straights need to be long to give all runners a fair chance at winning!

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I think they should plant trees in ALL sprint lanes.
    Bravo........you watch a race now on a track with a sprint lane................AND ALL YOU DO IS WATCH THE HORSE BEHIND THE LEADER GETTING IT'S SPRINT LANE RUN...........NOT THE POOR BASTARD THAT HAS BEEN RACING 3, 4 OR 5 WIDE FOR THE LAST 600 METRES GETTING A BIT TIRED AS THEY TURN FOR HOME!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Bravo........you watch a race now on a track with a sprint lane................AND ALL YOU DO IS WATCH THE HORSE BEHIND THE LEADER GETTING IT'S SPRINT LANE RUN...........NOT THE POOR BASTARD THAT HAS BEEN RACING 3, 4 OR 5 WIDE FOR THE LAST 600 METRES GETTING A BIT TIRED AS THEY TURN FOR HOME!
    Who is the horse getting the sprint lane run? The lowly assessed/inferior horse who drew good to get a good run under PBD. Who is the horse out 5 wide? The one who drew shit because he is superior and higher assessed under PBD.
    Evens it up.
    Generally it's one of the better horses in the race leading as well. Evens it up that an inferior horse can get a cheap run.
    The advantage received by way of PBD is negated severely without sprint lanes. These inferior horses may not be able to burn early to lead because they will falter late, let them get a sit and they are in the game. They take a sit on a track with no sprint lane and it's game over most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread