Great post by Jason and he is definitely right about perceptionThe casual punter should be the focus of Harness Racing administrators as simpler betting options abound.
I can get $1.90 in a soccer bet..that's a two horse race (three to be precise with the Draw on a straight bet)...why take $1.40 in a 10 horse race?
Just a random observation from consecutive provincial races last night:
Lismore Dogs Race 3 Maiden 7 starters Fave $2.60 Total of 3 TAB WIN Pools at SKY fade out to start $23000 (NSW TAB $9887.55 Win $1572 Place $6900 Exotics)
Swan Hill Trots Race 1* 3YO Pace 10 starters Fave $1.80 Total of 3 TAB WIN pools at SKY fade out $25000 (NSW TAB $9827.00 Win $2950 Place $8700 Exotics)

Not a lot of difference at first sight but one has to appreciate the better Place pool for the Trots reflects the awarding of a Third Place Dividend whereas the dogs had NTD for 7 starters.
Looks pretty close BUT..and I know this is fraught with statistical error..just imagine(and I know its not the case) that the Total Tab Win Pool was distributed to the Sport on a per runner basis..that's $3285 per dog and $2500 per Pacer.
Lets call that the INTEREST FACTOR and I know its on a couple of random races but it confirms my general observation (and that of Jason) that Harness races are not attractive betting propositions, relatively speaking.
One line starts definitely give the perception that every horse has an even chance but those in the know realise that this isn't the case...but those in the know don't throw in the casual punting dollar.
Unless there is a total change in the Class system and rather than a strict snakes and ladders handicapping system a total discretionary handicapping system(probably based on ratings) comes into play then the One Line Mobile concept will be loaded with Odds On chance races.
It appears to me (and I may be mistaken) that Harness Racing administrators can't see that elephant in the room as they play their fiddles and wonder what's burning? (apologies for mixing idioms)

* Just as an aside..what a run by MURRANJI TRACK to storm home for second in that Swan Hill race in close to record time!
And that's how you have to speak as you see the punting dollar carved up.