After the Breeders Crown series at Melton on Saturday night a mate sends me a message about why does Purdon hand up on Follow The Stars to Alford on Menin Gate? It is patently obvious to me that Purdon has done everything possible to give his horse the best chance to win the final after working early, by eventually taking the trail behind his biggest danger.

The problem here for my mate who is a punter, but doesn't really understand how harness racing works, is that he sees that as a move that is detrimental to Follow The Stars chances. Any half interested harness fan would totally understand Purdon taking the sit.

This perception of seeing a horse being put on the pegs and running dead is like a big flashing red warning light in a mug punters mind. Because of harness racing's own distinct peculiarities in it's racing style, the prospect of selling the virtues of the product to new players must be a forlorn hope for public relations officers...even when the best are racing the best, as was the case on Saturday night.