Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Racing Victoria are going down the same road

Racing Victoria is calling for national action on whip reform and eventually a ban on whips in all races as it seeks to underpin racing's social license as community attitudes to using animals in entertainment change.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/...07-p55t8c.html
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Racing Victoria are going down the same road

Racing Victoria is calling for national action on whip reform and eventually a ban on whips in all races as it seeks to underpin racing's social license as community attitudes to using animals in entertainment change.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/...07-p55t8c.html
    How many new fans?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    How many new fans?
    That's not supposed to be a justification is it Brendan?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    It's all about sucking-up to the racing minister and a government that owes animal rights activists for some deals done in a broom cupboard somewhere in Spring St. RV comes out with this but says nothing about Government-imposed lockdowns wrecking the Spring Carnival?

I reckon the silence is the sound of money changing hands.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    As my posts probably indicate - I am all for it. I am a dog lover (not greyhound racing) and would never hit one with a stick. I am also a horse lover and cannot see why we need to hit one (maybe as a rare safety control measure) - I think a soft tap to say go is all we require. It may mean some horses don't give as much but so be it.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    From your post "Racing Victoria is calling for national action on whip reform and eventually a ban on whips in all races as it seeks to underpin racing's social license as community attitudes to using animals in entertainment change."

Nothing about the welfare of the horse just that society doesn't accept it as entertainment anymore. This decision is all about conforming with society and trying to win back some entertainment dollar and nothing to do with welfare.

Leaving trainers disgruntled they can't train their horse the way they want to and owners paying up for a horse that's shown ability that isn't producing its best.

The big danger is the domino effect. Ban jumps racing. Ban the whip. Next step is ban racing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Brendan, I see successful no whips racing as a big argument for racing. It can be said that the horse is running of his own volition. Just as the doggies can argue that the greyhounds chase of their own volition. The doggies problem is what some have been known to do to encourage chasing (live baiting) and the spills/injuries on their tracks (Mind you these are both secondary to their massive slaughter/wastage of dogs)

In your quote above I take 'attitudes to using animals in entertainment change' to mean the publics concern regarding animal welfare. It has to be HOW animals are used that is the issue, if it is just the use of animals full stop then you're right - all horse riding will have to stop (if that is what the vast majority/community attitude becomes)
    Last edited by Messenger; 09-09-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Brendan, I see successful no whips racing as a big argument for racing. It can be said that the horse is running of his own volition. Just as the doggies can argue that the greyhounds chase of their own volition. The doggies problem is what some have been known to do to encourage chasing (live baiting) and the spills/injuries on their tracks (Mind you these are both secondary to their massive slaughter/wastage of dogs)

In your quote above I take 'attitudes to using animals in entertainment change' to mean the publics concern regarding animal welfare. It has to be HOW animals are used that is the issue, if it is just the use of animals full stop then you're right - all horse riding will have to stop (if that is what the vast majority/community attitude becomes)
    Trainers will just have to use jiggers and crackers behind closed doors!

Leave the gate unlocked and take the collar off your dog see how many pets stay home of their own volition!

The public concern is animal welfare. The Administrators concern is getting fans. There is a difference.

Just because a cross section of society doesn't like something doesn't mean the cross section of society that does enjoy that activity must cease that activity. That you'd roll over on horse riding is a shame. We need people who fight for the sport.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Trainers will just have to use jiggers and crackers behind closed doors!

Leave the gate unlocked and take the collar off your dog see how many pets stay home of their own volition!

The public concern is animal welfare. The Administrators concern is getting fans. There is a difference.

Just because a cross section of society doesn't like something doesn't mean the cross section of society that does enjoy that activity must cease that activity. That you'd roll over on horse riding is a shame. We need people who fight for the sport.
    I am not sure what dogs staying home has to do with not hitting them with a stick (you don't do you?) I have had a few dogs who stayed home without fences even (in the main I have not lived in suburbia)

I am just a fan of harness racing because in my impressionable teenage years I was taken to the Showgrounds
    I am a member of the public concerned with animal welfare (my signature for the last few years have been a giveaway) - I am not an Administrator
    Yes society does not decide everything for all in society but I think professional racing needs near on a majority of society onside to have the social license it enjoys

I am not rolling over I am just following an industry whose direction I am actually happy with, if you dont agree with the way HRA and RV are moving and want to fight for your beliefs, I say go ahead and argue your case here and more importantly where it will heard
    I think you will need more than the jigger argument

The only good horse I was involved with wouldn't let the driver touch it with the whip, in the end I don't think Milesy even carried one
    If a horse goes from fast to slow because he isn't being belted he will just race in a lower grade
    Check out Self Assured's run in the 'What a Run' thread posted by TC this week after Mark Purdon dropped the whip

ps Don't forget Norway have managed to be whip free
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I am not sure what dogs staying home has to do with not hitting them with a stick (you don't do you?) I have had a few dogs who stayed home without fences even (in the main I have not lived in suburbia)

I am just a fan of harness racing because in my impressionable teenage years I was taken to the Showgrounds
    I am a member of the public concerned with animal welfare (my signature for the last few years have been a giveaway) - I am not an Administrator
    Yes society does not decide everything for all in society but I think professional racing needs near on a majority of society onside to have the social license it enjoys

I am not rolling over I am just following an industry whose direction I am actually happy with, if you dont agree with the way HRA and RV are moving and want to fight for your beliefs, I say go ahead and argue your case here and more importantly where it will heard
    I think you will need more than the jigger argument

The only good horse I was involved with wouldn't let the driver touch it with the whip, in the end I don't think Milesy even carried one
    If a horse goes from fast to slow because he isn't being belted he will just race in a lower grade
    Check out Self Assured's run in the 'What a Run' thread posted by TC this week after Mark Purdon dropped the whip

ps Don't forget Norway have managed to be whip free
    You mentioned dogs so I fast forwarded to the bit people keep them against the dogs volition. Why is that ok? Simple fact is dogs don't want to be kept in a backyard or weaned of their mother at 12 weeks to go to a strange home but 'dog lovers' the world over do it. Horses don't pace naturally or want to be in a cart, saddled up and participate in an organised race. We have to be comfortable that we are controlling them and be ok with this for our enjoyment. It's pretty morally corrupt to be comfortable with those things but not a light padded flicky thing used lightly as it is these days. Those who are uncomfortable will simply move from one domino to attack the next aspect.

Yes of course some horses don't need the whip to perform. Does not negate that some do though.

Good luck to a 50kg jockey with a 600kg beast being unruly.

Norway? Because the world tunes in to see all the champs race from Norway.

+ Reply to Thread