Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breeders Challenge day and thoughts on Menangle

Hybrid View

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I had not planned it Kyle but about a week ago I realized the big day fitted my itinerary perfectly.

My first look at Menangle
    I was surprised we were in the middle of nowhere, it makes Melton seem suburban (It's got me beat how both states can expect our code to be mainstream when we have gone backwoods)
    As for the facility, I was impressed with what I saw (although large sections were closed to the general public today)
    As much as I like the promenade at Melton, Menangle's grandstand is much more practical in providing plenty of seating.
    I like the museum displays and the stables with their high pitch and viewing platforms make Melton's now look worse than ordinary
    As much as I appreciate the racing benefits of the long straight (which includes no need for a cheat's lane) it does make it hard to see what is happening at the bottom of the str

As a spectator, mile racing is not my cup of tea on such a big track - I miss the bell
    The long str helped Hector knock off stablemate Lenny despite Gavin wearing a Menangle spray jacket that billowed like a windsock

It was great to see 2011 2yo Challenge winner, Theartofdelusion, one of the 2 ex-pacers under saddle, leading out the fields
    They were lucky with the weather today and they really did cater for their 'family' day and were well rewarded with plenty of families there
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    [QUOTE=Messenger;46964]I had not planned it Kyle but about a week ago I realized the big day fitted my itinerary perfectly.

"My first look at Menangle
    I was surprised we were in the middle of nowhere, it makes Melton seem suburban (It's got me beat how both states can expect our code to be mainstream when we have gone backwoods)"

Hi Kevin

I can't speak for Victoria, but as far as NSW goes, most of the criticism surrounding the move to Menangle from Harold Park is delusional. I've been in the sport for near on 40 years; used to go to Fairfield, Bankstown, Penrith and Harold Park virtually every week and when the decision to sell Harold Park was made the crowds at that venue were non existent. We went from having thousands of people on a Friday night to the point where you could fire a shotgun in the public seating along the home straight and hit nobody! Getting to Harold Park on a Friday night was a living nightmare and the facilities, in particular for the horsemen were woeful. Before the move Harold Park was in a third rate hospital, being cared for with antiquated equipment and on life support; thank goodness they chose to move the patient to best equipped and staffed hospital in Australia.

Whilst many of us bemoan the lack of on course patronage, in NSW we at least have a facility that allows our sport to be conducted on, and presented to its fans and the public, in the very best way possible. Growing up in the western suburbs of Sydney, I spent many a night in the Campbelltown area and know full well how it has exploded as a residential zone. The challenge now is to turn some of those living there into fans of the sport, that however is a different topic. I loved Harold Park, but Menangle has the location and infrastructure to grow the sport. I'm absolutely certain the move to Menangle, at the very least, stalled the imminent death of the patient!

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread