I agree with a lot of your thoughts Dot, hence my post, Thoughts on just R $4000 and C $8000, or whatever the maximum the budget allows, across the board? In posting that, and as a hobbyist, I'd have no qualms at all if R remained at $3500 and max the $C. C$5000 doesn't incentivise anyone, new or existing.

I'd be surprised if the focus was on R racing, but point taken in announcing this increase first. I wonder if the trainers and drivers association welcoming the R increase might be conditional to an increase to C5K? Whilst the VTDA doesn't represent owners it/they do realise who butter's their bread? Or was it the association/club that represents owners having the push behind the increase to R?

Quoting you,
I doubt we can attract new owners focussing on restricted grade races and it should be country front racing with a minimum level of $7000 that we market as the "normal" entry level for new owners or participants entering the industry. From this position there are two ways to go, up to Metro and feature level racing, and a fallback position of participation at restricted level.
100% agree, echoed my thoughts as a current owner and has more influence on me looking at a sales or stallion catalogue in the future.

Having said that, HRV's number crunching that led to the R increase would have also included keeping current horse numbers on the track, hence the new distribution of the 4K. Short sighted or reactive to the health status of the sport?