What is your favourite distance for trotting races? (suggested by jimbeau)
1600m (9%)

2100m (38%)

2600m (46%)

3200m (7%)

Total Votes: 149

Noticed the latest poll on Harness.org.au......it appears the overwhelming majority of respondents prefer middle distance ( 2100 metres) to middle staying distance races ( 2600 metres) very few prefer the 1609 metres, whilst the joke distance of 1k thankfully didn't even get a mention.
To me, the interesting thing thats coming from this poll is that very few people ( 9%) reckon 1609 metres is the go!! I feel vindicated to a certain extent, as I've not ever believed that copying the progressively diminishing " success" of our North American cousins has been what's appropriate for our own market.

I'd love to hear other's opinions! IMO we have been bombarded, and to a certain extent "brainwashed" with too much mile racing for too long! From a trainer/driver's perspective the mile racing reduces your options for putting your horse into the race at some stage without butchering him. And from a punters viewpoint? well look at the success in the good old USA!

To be fair, the downward spiral can not be blamed on mile racing alone, all mobile starts, conditioned racing that is designed to even up fields but actually causes barrier draws to influence people to bet on "numbers" and "systems" rather than assessing the qualities of the the individuals, and in general, a system that is trying to appeal to the desire of punters for a consistent or "predictable" product, when in fact that alone kills the punters interest!!! the punters don't want $1.30 favorites winning! they know the odds are against them with factors like luck in running etc. The punters want a fair go thats all, they don't want to see horses that can't win a race at Wagga or Newcastle lining up, sitting in the death, and blitzing their rivals in the straight at Melton or Menangle and the only explanation is the horse was driven "American Style" or that trainer swims his horses,even though the horse has been in his/her yard for about 4 days!!!!

As has been said on this forum many times... the punters want to see a reasonably consistent product and the participants would like a reasonably level playing field.