Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
If you want a change in the way form guides and results are presented I would be pushing for 200m sectionals rather than 400s. If a horse takes 400m to work forward three wide to the death between 1400 and 1000m and first two quarters are 31 and 32 you might say the horse got there easy enough. But the 200m sectionals can tell a different story. They could be 16 15 15 17 or 15 16 17 15. Working forward in 15 and 15 means you worked pretty hard, working forward in 16 and 17 means you got there pretty cheap. Same story last 400m. Horse may appear to be getting home well late, but if last 400 is covered in 13 and 14 well maybe it was other horses stopping, whereas if it getting home in 14 and 13 well that could be a ripper final 200m. Probably wouldn't be as much variance as I've put in my examples, and to some extent you can tell the change of pace watching a video, but the big difference between thoroughbred and harness racing form is the recording of sectional times from a furlong to two furlongs.
YES I agree Breno! Also all of our quarters have got bend in them somewhere (except for Menangle I guess). If got furlong splits heaps better guide eg. 3 wide around a bend in a quick furlong much different to 3 wide in a straight line.

I did hear something about some upcoming changes to to the sectional times a few months back. Don't know if this is what it was it but would definitely handy.